PDA

View Full Version : how many wpm can your young teen or pre-teen type?

Rebe
08-26-2009, 04:51 PM
We're using Mavis Beacon Typing. Ds has been doing it for about a year, and dd just started this week. Ds is typing about 13 (adjusted)wpm.

Dh and I are both writers, so we type very, very fast. :D I have no idea how fast a teen or pre-teen might type, especially after a year of instruction. Ds has been doing the keyboarding lessons 2-3 times a week, with some gaps in the summer. Still, 13 wpm seems very slow to me! I know at some point it might just kick in and he'll be able to type faster... but,

How many wpm does your child type? I'm just curious...

TonyaP
08-26-2009, 05:13 PM
I could barely pass a typing class in high school, my body just wasn't up to the task yet. Somewhere late in college I finally developed the necessary coordination and can now do 80 wpm. I remember thinking to myself that something had finally "kicked in" because I really struggled when I was younger. It is a unique skill- you are thinking, using your hands, etc. all at the same time.

CJ
08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
My 15yo can type 40-50 wpm and even types for a deaf man in our congregation.

My 13yo can type 11 wpm. She's more day-dreamy and not into computers except for writing down her songs, stories and poems.

Kendall in GA
08-27-2009, 05:48 AM
How many wpm does your child type? I'm just curious...

I haven't a clue; but, it is NOT many! :no: She's been teaching herself to type over the last several months...It's.been.a.slow.process. IMO, her hands are just too small to go very fast.

I didn't learn to type until high school...Of course, this is a different era as dc learn to type much earlier than we did; but, I just don't think that they are as proficient as we were due to maturity and hand size....Just my unscientific observation. :)

Debbie W
08-27-2009, 06:40 AM
I have no idea, but I know my youngest knows the arrangement of the letter keys without looking. That's the beauty of having a keyboard with letters that have worn off! :roflol:

A person would think in this day and age of texting kids would be able to type as fast as they text. But then again with all the abbreviations they use it would be a nightmare to try and read. :lol: :unsure:

Rebe
08-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Well, I think I've set my ds's "goal" (which you have to set on the MB program) too high. I'm going to lower it to 25 or 30. Which sounds like it may still be too fast! But at least it's something to shoot for.

Cheryl in SoCal
08-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Mine just started and is only typing about 12, and that's under much duress;) I didn't take typing in HS (I thought it would be silly to take typing because I didn't plan on being a secretary, who knew computers would become so popular:lol:) and Mavis taught me how to type. I'm pretty fast but I was a lot more motivated than my son is;)

Linda
08-29-2009, 02:22 AM
We'll be starting MB next week. :) My oldest has been typing for several years on the computer. She's pretty fast but she's a one finger typist. I've got to get her over that hurdle of changing her ways. ONce she does, I think she'll be a pretty good typist.

When I was a freshman in highschool and took frosh typing ;) I was HORRIBLE!!! Oh my goodness, I.was.bad! Seriously bad. My senior year I took another type of typing class and my hands flew and I haven't slowed down since. ;) You should've seen my on a 10-key in my hey day. :roflol: (yes, there's a reason why I have carpal tunnel now :spin: )

Don't know what changed between my freshman and senior year that enabled me to go from about 20wpm to over 100, but something did. :lol: Maybe something will click as your son gets a little older too.