PDA

View Full Version : The Violin Book??

ShayChristie
08-29-2009, 04:41 PM
I was reading a This Old Schoolhouse from last spring and there was an article about The Violin Book. Supposedly, an idiot(that would be me) can teach their child violin with the book and possibly a cd they also sell.

My 7yo has wanted violin lessons for years. I just started looking recently and do not know anyone conveniently located who does lessons. If I really could do it with this book, I was thinking about a violin and the book being her Christmas gift. :unsure:

Oh, the local elementary school does violin lessons and she'd be eligible to participate, but not until next year. I thought maybe the book would give us an intro.

Any experiences with it?

carriejoy
08-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Shay, if you haven't seen the company website http://www.ebaru.com/ take a look! I really liked the look of it A LOT. I can play the violin and honestly, I could teach the kids w/o the book but the structure is something I was looking for. So, that said, I have not purchased it, but I have come REALLY REALLY close.

I HAVE purchased the beginning set from Mrs. Seidel at http://www.videoviolinlessons.com/. I like what I've seen the only thing I don't like is that I need the remote as each individual component is its own "video" and when it's done, it takes you back to the menu. And the components are SHORT. For me, I think it would be nice to have them be 2 or 3 at a shot. But that's just me. Her style is SOUND and she is enthusiastic.

The Suzuki Violinist by William Starr may be of interest to you.

And last, but not least, I purchased a couple dvds from this young lady. She is DELIGHTFUL. She's made this in her home so the quality of videography isn't there, but she is fabulous imo. I've emailed with her a couple of times and I am sooo impressed by her. My first dvd from her didn't 'take' all the way (she duplicates them in her home on a home dvd burner) and I emailed her and she just sent a new one right away. Here is a link to one of her auctions. She's got a website called Violin Stars too that is delightful. (She is a homeschool student too btw!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOW-TO-PLAY-VIOLIN-DVD-LESSONS-COURSE-INCLUDES-4-DVDS_W0QQitemZ310152632689QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item4836899971&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

RobinP
08-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Well take this for what it's worth (which is probably nothing) but I would never (read never ever ever) try to teach violin to my child with a book or DVD. (Honestly...just my very very humble opinion so no stoning please.) I have a degree in piano and organ. My son and I are both taking Suzuki violin and LOVING it. We are just starting our 3rd year. HOWEVER, the violin is HARD. If it were only raking that bow across the strings, that would be great. But proper technique is EVERYTHING to achieve a good sound. Every little nuance with your arm, wrist, thumb, elbow, posture, etc. is so very important...or it can sound really terrible. (Ask me how I know. ;) ) And that's just for the right hand! :lol: Our teacher, who studied for years with Dr. Suzuki in Japan, is absolutely fabulous and is such a genius for really helping us overcome technical difficulties with games and exercises. I can't imagine trying to do this on my own.

Again, FYIW...

ETA - We drive over an hour each way twice a week for private and group lessons. I know everyone can't do this but it's been SO worth it for us. My little guy has grown in so many ways since beginning violin...memory work (they memorize everything - it's amazing to watch those kids,) focus and concentration, honor and respect, teamwork, etc.

Jodi K
09-01-2009, 04:35 PM
It's a nice idea to get your child into music. I would be inclined to say that violin is not the instrument to attempt to learn from a DVD. I think you'd have much better luck learning perhaps piano that way. As a former school orchestra teacher, I have fixed so many instruments that parents broke the strings in attempts to tune them. That's just the tuning and the very first step. You could also be giving your child some pretty bad habits that would be hard to correct. I do think that piano via DVD would give you a much better chance for success. Hope this wasn't too discouraging! :)

katied
09-01-2009, 04:44 PM
My 7-year-old has been taking violin lessons for 2 years and, based on my experience, I have to agree with Robin. There are soooo many things involved in learning to play violin....there are sooo many things that can go wrong if not addressed in a timely manner by a skilled teacher. Some of these bad habits, if not taken care of early, can take years to un-learn. For example, it took us 6 months just to get a proper bow hold. We still have issues- after TWO years- of keeping the violin held up properly. All of these things may seem insignificant at the time, but they can really come back to haunt your violin playing later. I cannot imagine trying to troubleshoot all these problems on your own. At the very least, you would want to consult with a violin teacher, via video if all else fails, for help with these issues. Can you find someone willing to meet with you maybe once a month or so?

ShayChristie
09-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the input! I'll just try looking a little harder for a teacher I guess. She already plays piano(my four oldest all take lessons), so has some musical experience, but she would love the violin. She's asked for a couple of years now, it's just finding a teacher. The piano teacher plays violin, but does not feel confident enough to give lessons. sigh...

Thanks for the replies! :)

Julie in AZ
09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
I HAVE purchased the beginning set from Mrs. Seidel at http://www.videoviolinlessons.com/. I like what I've seen the only thing I don't like is that I need the remote as each individual component is its own "video" and when it's done, it takes you back to the menu. And the components are SHORT. For me, I think it would be nice to have them be 2 or 3 at a shot. But that's just me. Her style is SOUND and she is enthusiastic.

Shay, I have this DVD set, and I think it would work fine for your dd. It even has a tuning section and "how" to apply finger tape section. I think your dd would like it. :) It's a great beginning if she plans to play later on. (I played violin in school and drums with my dad's band.)

carriejoy
09-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Shay, I have this DVD set, and I think it would work fine for your dd. It even has a tuning section and "how" to apply finger tape section. I think your dd would like it. :) It's a great beginning if she plans to play later on. (I played violin in school and drums with my dad's band.)

It's very, very detailed. I used to be in the "can't learn violin w/o a REAL teacher" camp too. I'm a former Suzuki student! Big ol' musical snob! :lol:

Most "learn to play _____" dvds are sooooo poorly done and move so quickly. I'd bet you could start with this and have the piano teacher take a peek once or twice a month. Mrs. Seidel is available for consult too for anyone who buys from her.

Anyway, I've moved away from the "perfection" camp to the "play for the Lord" camp. I encourage you to PRAY first and to encourage your daughter to PRAY. That ebay link I have you is also REALLY good. That girl has a HEART for helping people. If your daughter is truly wanting this, then I say take the plunge. Get a decent violin (that makes a real difference in being able to play well) and the nice thing is, decent violins have good resale value. (Ya know, in case it becomes a problem!)

If I had my videos, I'd send them to you to peruse. Couple bucks in shipping fees is easy to jump at when starting something new. Diving in at $70 or whatever is a bit harder to decide, sight unseen. If I remember correctly, Mrs. Seidel also has some demos on her site.

But seriously, pray and ask the Lord to open the door and give you peace about what you decide. Lots of folks fiddle beautifully w/o 'formal' lessons.