PDA

View Full Version : What age would you start dictation?

Rachael W
08-30-2009, 11:54 PM
My 1st grader is just starting to read words.....would dictation at this point be helpful or confuse her? Any thoughts are appreciated :)

JuliaT
08-31-2009, 07:39 AM
Dictation would probably be too stressful for her right now. I usually start dictation when my kids are 8 or 9, depending on how well they are spelling. You could start copywork with your dd right now.

Holly S
08-31-2009, 08:20 AM
I'd also stick to copywork. I'm just now thinking of adding dictation to my 2nd grader's schooling. Do you have The Three R's by Ruth Beechick? She has some great ideas for copywork and dictation.

Suz MamaFrog
08-31-2009, 09:40 AM
2nd or 3rd grade here. Lightly in 2nd grade, more frequently and longer passages in 3rd grade. By 4th grade, we're up to paragraphs.

HTH!

Blessings,
Suz

Diane E.
08-31-2009, 05:58 PM
I feel silly for asking this....How does dictation look in your school? I am wondering the best way to begin this with my third grader. I am looking for a way to integrate grammar and copywork with FIAR. I know some on these boards do this successfully. Please explain how this works....thanks!!:)

Nancy Ann
08-31-2009, 07:28 PM
2nd and 3rd grade here as well. Copywork is great for 1st grade and than gradually get into dictation in 2nd.

Kendall in GA
08-31-2009, 08:29 PM
IMO, age or grade are not important. Rather, I'd look at the student's ability to write with ease, spell relatively well (or enough to attempt to spell on his own) and retain oral direction.

My ds started dictation this year. He writes well and retains oral direction well; however, he needs a fair amount of help with spelling. He almost 8yo in second grade and is just now ready to begin dictation. My dd started dictation earlier...She was in 1st grade; but, she wrote with ease and could spell at an earlier age. I guess my point is that each child is different. :)

MarieD
08-31-2009, 08:40 PM
My oldest was ready for dictation until third grade, and we did short sentences. I can see how she has come a very long way by doing dictation, but it was slow moving at first.

My youngest is 1st grade, and I noticed dictation is a part of All About Spelling, which I am using with her this year. We aren't to the lessons that involve dictation yet, but from what I see it is, at this level, age appropriate. From what I see looking ahead, she will start with writing the letter sounds I dictate, then on to short words, then short word phrases. I am guessing that eventually it will lead to complete sentences and the traditional diction like her sister does. I only have level one at the moment, so I cannot say how quickly that moves ahead.

I hadn't thought of starting dictation at 1st grade with my oldest, but the way it is set up in AAS, it looks pretty good. We will just see how it all goes. ;)

Christi in VA
09-01-2009, 06:30 AM
I also use First Language Lessons and dictation begins in 2nd grade in this book, but it is very, very simple.

BethInOK
09-01-2009, 06:55 AM
One thing I've seen as sort of a pre-dictation is correcting written sentences. You write out a sentence and intentionally miss a few things (spelling, capitalization, punctuation). Make sure most of it is things your child already knows, and one that you're ready to teach. I wouldn't start yet, maybe halfway into 1st.