PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Textbooks Math question--please help!

Heather (WI)
09-01-2009, 12:59 PM
We started using TT Math 6 last year and did all of it. We went into TT7 towards the end of last year, and we just finished the first (of 4) disks. So far, we've LOVED it!

Anyway, this year, (we're on our 3rd week of the school year), dd seems to be struggling more with understanding all the lessons. She is getting up to 5 (out of 20-22 problems) a day wrong sometimes.

SO, I am wondering if anyone else has had the problem of their child maybe not "getting it" all the time with TT, because it is such an independent program, and I feel like I can't help with the explanations as much because I am not doing it with her daily. (I do help explain things, but it's not the same as when I taught all of her math to her each day.) I'm just worried that as the math levels get higher, she may get lost even more and then it will be too late to get back on track.

I am willing to invest the money in the program if it works and is best for her, but it's $190. next year (pre-Alg.) and I don't want to spend that if it isn't going to work for us.

Please help with your experiences and advice! Thanks!! (Sorry so long, too!)

WendyW
09-01-2009, 01:12 PM
We used TT7, a couple years ago. Last year we switched to Life of Fred for financial reasons.

With my ds, I found that much of the "problem" when he was doing poorly was his own fault. When the child gives a wrong answer, they have the option of re-watching the explanation and an example problem. Ds never did. He just got it wrong and moved on. When I figured out that he was slacking off on his end, and made him re-do a couple chapters from just the book, his performance improved dramatically. Eventually he quit using the videos and just worked out of the book.

Getting things wrong is part of the learning process. If you go on the teacher's part, you can see if she looked back at the pertinent examples, and if she attempted the problems a second time, and how many tries it took to get it right. If she IS doing all this, and still not understanding, you may need to go through it with her, or stay a couple lesson ahead of her, so you can give her more help.

Kendall in GA
09-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Has your dd exhausted all of the learning tools, i.e. Has she re-watched the lectures; has she read the lessons; has she watched the step-by-step explanations??? :unsure:

(Btw, my dd is in TT7. She will occasionally ask me for help with a question BEFORE she's even looked back at the lesson's notes ~ Grrr! IMO, that is pure laziness. I advise her to go back through the notes to find the answer and come back to me ONLY if she can't figure it out on her own. Lo and behold, she finds the answer on her own. :eyes: :clap: )

Heather (WI)
09-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Has your dd exhausted all of the learning tools, i.e. Has she re-watched the lectures; has she read the lessons; has she watched the step-by-step explanations??? :unsure:

(Btw, my dd is in TT7. She will occasionally ask me for help with a question BEFORE she's even looked back at the lesson's notes ~ Grrr! IMO, that is pure laziness. I advise her to go back through the notes to find the answer and come back to me ONLY if she can't figure it out on her own. Lo and behold, she finds the answer on her own. :eyes: :clap: )

Yeah, I know what you mean, Kendall--I DO have to remind her to watch the individual problem explanations when she gets one wrong. That bothers me, because I told her that is the main reason I wanted this program--because it explains everything for you!

I know she watches the starting lecture of each lesson, which is where I am not sure if she is not understanding it all or what. For example--yesterday was a story problem with megabytes and gigabytes, etc.--you had to do a couple steps to get to the answer. There were billions and millions to work with, and she was confused because the numbers were so big. I ended up figuring it out on my own and explaining it to her (and then we watched the solution afterwards, which ended up being just how I did it). BUT, I just worry--what if I hadn't been able to figure it out and explain it BEFORE she got it wrong and had to watch the explanation? (hope this makes sense)

Heather (WI)
09-01-2009, 02:13 PM
We used TT7, a couple years ago. Last year we switched to Life of Fred for financial reasons.

With my ds, I found that much of the "problem" when he was doing poorly was his own fault. When the child gives a wrong answer, they have the option of re-watching the explanation and an example problem. Ds never did. He just got it wrong and moved on. When I figured out that he was slacking off on his end, and made him re-do a couple chapters from just the book, his performance improved dramatically. Eventually he quit using the videos and just worked out of the book.

Getting things wrong is part of the learning process. If you go on the teacher's part, you can see if she looked back at the pertinent examples, and if she attempted the problems a second time, and how many tries it took to get it right. If she IS doing all this, and still not understanding, you may need to go through it with her, or stay a couple lesson ahead of her, so you can give her more help.

Wendy--thank you! I may need to do this, just be more insistent that she is watching/re-watching the lectures and problem solutions as needed. I think we may have the same situation you did with your son. :)

Kendall in GA
09-01-2009, 04:45 PM
I may need to do this, just be more insistent that she is watching/re-watching the lectures and problem solutions as needed.

That sounds good...Let us know how that works!

Btw, here's how I've instructed my dd to use the program:
Watch the lesson on video.
Read the lesson notes in the workbook.
Re-read or re-watch for clarity if necessary.
Solve the practice problems.
Solve the rest of the problems.
Enter all problems on the computer.
Attempt to solve any problems missed. Watch the solution for explanation. Re-read the notes if clarification/understanding still needed.
Seek help from me when all other options are exhausted.

She's only on Lesson 13 and its all review for her up to this point. (She won't get to anything new until she reaches decimals and percents so I'm guessing it will be a while before we encounter potential problems.) I'll have to see if this will still work when she gets to new material.