View Full Version : Math journals.... I'm just sayin....

Shelly L
09-01-2009, 12:33 PM
So I was looking for some creative ways to get my daughter more engaged in math this year, and was intrigued by the math journal idea that I read about on Heather W's blog and elsewhere.

I decided to give it a try, though I feel very 'green' at this. I have some sites bookmarked for ideas and decided to start slow and easy with things such as graphing a pile of similar lego pieces according to color, writing a list of math problems to solve, graphing M&Ms by color (this was way more fun than Legos!), etc.

This weekend, while looking for some ideas on Homeschool Share for our FIAR notebook pages for Daniel's Duck, I ran across some word problems based on the book. I quickly printed the list of problems, cut them apart and glued them onto three pages of her journal, leaving room for answers. We've done 3 problems a day now (remember, we're taking this slow) and today when she very successfully figured out the answers, she said, "I love my math journal!" and then she turned to the front and went back over everything we've done so far, including reading every word problem again that we've done for the past two days!!

I could cry!! :clap:

Thank you, Heather, for sharing, and for others who expressed interest in this idea (and to whoever shared the Daniel's Duck word problems on Homeschool Share). (Hmmm.... there are a lot of 'shares' in that last sentence, but I'm not gonna change it now!) :lol:

There are many articles out there on math journals and I haven't had time to read many of them, but I plan to. I think this extension of math into writing (or vice versa) can be beneficial, especially for certain types of learners. To see my 'reluctant to read' daughter, who is also a little behind in math, voluntarily reviewing her word problems was a blessing to my heart!

Heather W
09-02-2009, 09:15 AM
:clap: You are welcome!!

Julie Y
09-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Very :cool:!

09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
now you've got me intrigued, math isn't a favorite subject in this house.

Heather W
09-04-2009, 01:15 PM
now you've got me intrigued, math isn't a favorite subject in this house.

What would you like to know?