PDA

View Full Version : Draw Write Now????

Virginia82
09-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Does anyone know anything about this series?

My mom gave me one of the books to look at, and I kind of like it...but before I buy any of the others wanted other input.

Love it?

Hate it?

Meh?

Thanks!

Jen in AL
09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
LOVE it!!!:D And so do my dc. There are some great charts on homeschoolshare.com that match the DWN books with FIAR titles. I printed the charts and we use them each week in our FIAR studies. As a matter of fact, my dc drew a hen today to go with How to Make an Apple Pie.:)

Sue G in PA
09-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Love it. My kids all just take them out every now and again and just draw. Great series and I hear there is a chart that coordinates DWN w/ FIAR books.

Rosanna
09-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Love it :)! We have all 8 books and use them for part of our art lessons, not so much for copywork- I love the drawings that my kids have created by following the directions. If there is a go-along drawing, we use it for our lessons with FIAR (ie- duck for Ping and Make Way for Ducklings, sheep for the many sheep books, birds for the nature studies, etc.)

Hollie in SC
09-01-2009, 05:22 PM
We like them a lot, but I'm not sure my boys used them much until they were about 7. My boys just love to pull them down and draw with them.

Laura F
09-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Here's a link (http://www.fiarhq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63995&highlight=draw+write+now) to a recent thread that might interest you.

Shelly L
09-01-2009, 06:43 PM
We love them here. We used them for copywork off and on in the earlier days, but now more for art go-alongs or for something to draw when my daughter is feeling artistic or wants to send a picture to a friend or relative. They do not replace quality art lessons, and certainly not the suggested FIAR lessons, which teach so much variety in style and method and type of art medium. But for an easy 'how to draw,' self-directed series, they are quite handy and as kids get older they seem to add more to the pictures, so they are a nice jump-start of ideas and inspiration. Plus I love that each book has different themes/habitats, etc.

Heather W
09-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Gave the whole set to our kids for Christmas one year after they fell in love with the ones the library had.

The kids LOVE them!

Tracey
09-01-2009, 07:55 PM
We have the whole set too and my kids really like them. I have actually sat with them and drawn my own pictures. Lots of fun! :clap:

Susan A
09-02-2009, 08:48 AM
:clap: Love Them!!! Use them all the time!!:clap:

elizawill
09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
we have all of the books & i have used them in the past for drawing and some copywork. i've always incorporatd them according to HSS.

however, i have recently become interested in dictation for my daughter (almost 8 and in 2nd grade). she reads fabulous, but her spelling and writing skills aren't so great. i've really been racking my brain in trying to find a method that will improve her writing but without overwhelming her. anyway - i began dictating from DWN book one this week (simpler words and sentences) and it is going fabulous! she is enjoying it and it's been a painless process. so, this is how we are currently using DWN :) i'm loving it.

Ging
09-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Love it! Have the whole set.
Ging