PDA

View Full Version : Math poll: How long does your upper-elem child spend on math?

Robin(CA)
09-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I KNOW it's taking ds too long to do his math every day. I'm trying to figure out how long it takes other kids to do their math.

If you could also mention what program and level your child uses that would help too.

DS is using MUS and I'm wondering if it would take more or less time each day if we switched to Teaching Textbooks. :unsure:

Melinda
09-02-2009, 03:17 PM
DD, 9, is doing Saxon 6/5 and it takes 45-60 minutes a day. Longer than I would like, but it works for her not to be so stressed about it. I have to take time to explain each concept, we do the practice problems together and then she does only the even numbers on her actual lesson.

I miss the days when math only took 20 minutes tops. :yes:

ShayChristie
09-02-2009, 03:54 PM
DS(12) is doing MUS Algebra 1 and it takes him 30min-1hr depending on the lesson and page.

DS(9) is doing MUS Zeta and it takes him 15-20 min per page. Some days he does one, often he does 2.

That does not include the time to watch the video if it's a video day. They watch it themselves and ask me for help if they do not understand. :)

Heather W
09-02-2009, 03:56 PM
When my son was doing Horizons 6 he would take 20-30 minutes max. He read directions and hammered the problems out. done.

I've slowed him down doing Math on the Level! ha!

Rebe
09-02-2009, 04:00 PM
My 10yo is doing MCP Level F and takes 30 minutes to an hour. It shouldn't take nearly this long; she dawdles. She gets her answers right, but she takes forever doing it.

My ds used to take at least an hour for math, and it was torture for both of us. We switched to TT last year, and he's now taking about 1/2 hour and he enjoys it. That's a no-brainer for me. I'm not concerned that it's easier than some other math programs (which it is, and it's also spiral, which is not what we were used to). I'm 99% sure he's not going to go into a math-related field. My goal is just to get him through the math he needs for high school and college entrance exams.

CJ
09-02-2009, 08:26 PM
When mine have been upper elem. so far, they've taken 20-45 minutes. When they do MCP, they do the odds and if they miss more than a couple, they do the evens. With Life With Fred Fractions or Decimals, it takes them about 30 minutes. When they've done SOS Math, it's taken 40-45 minutes. Saxon took them about 45 minutes, too. Can you tell we've tried a few math programs? (lower elem. we tried Math U See, Making Math Meaningful and Horizons as well, lol)

MarieD
09-02-2009, 08:43 PM
My oldest uses Aleks for 30 minutes a day. She covers a new lesson or two, and if she has any time left she uses it to review topics she has learned.

She had used Singapore exclusively up until this year. That would take her anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on what the lesson was onů or if it was a textbook review.

Michelle Pfeifer
09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
We use MUS. DS will be going into Epsilon (fractions--I keep getting the letters mixed up) but is doing some remedial work from Delta. Today I was thrilled that he got a page from lesson 26 done in a 1/2 hour. It usually takes him much longer to do it.

Michelle

Rachael
09-02-2009, 10:12 PM
:lol: Well I'm not letting my kids see this thread! It takes my 11yo 6th grader an average of 1.5 hours. He's doing Saxon Algebra 1/2. He listens to the DIVE cd (ok, dude is a bit long winded IMO) and does the entire problem set.

Ging
09-02-2009, 10:42 PM
I set time limits for subjects during ele. So for math my 4th grader spends 30 min. 4 times a week on horizons and 30 min once a week using math balance activities. We've also added in lots of living math but I've not kept up with that so far.
Ging

Tricia O
09-02-2009, 10:43 PM
My 4th grader is doing Teaching Textbooks 4 & it takes her 20 to 30 minutes to do a lesson.

Robin(CA)
09-02-2009, 11:18 PM
We use MUS. DS will be going into Epsilon (fractions--I keep getting the letters mixed up) but is doing some remedial work from Delta. Today I was thrilled that he got a page from lesson 26 done in a 1/2 hour. It usually takes him much longer to do it.
Michelle

This makes me feel better -- this is exactly where we are and it's taking him a LONG time to do one page of long division (over an hour sometimes :eyes: )

Dh and I decided tonight to give TT a shot for this next round. I'm hoping the change in "scenery" will help energize his math. I think having the lessons on the computer will help him stay focused. He's only ever used MUS, so it will be a big change.

Thanks for the input everyone, it really did help to see that he was taking a lot longer than most kids his age.

Kendall in GA
09-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Dh and I decided tonight to give TT a shot for this next round.

FYI: My dd used MUS from Primer - the first part of Epsilon (switched to LOF) and now she is in TT7...TT takes her longer! :eek: :crazy: I suppose there is just more to it. It takes her about 45-60 min. to watch the lesson, read the lesson, solve the problems & enter them in the computer. MUS used to take 20-30 min.

Robin(CA)
09-04-2009, 11:32 AM
FYI: My dd used MUS from Primer - the first part of Epsilon (switched to LOF) and now she is in TT7...TT takes her longer! :eek: :crazy: I suppose there is just more to it. It takes her about 45-60 min. to watch the lesson, read the lesson, solve the problems & enter them in the computer. MUS used to take 20-30 min.

That would be my luck, wouldn't it?! :eek::lol:
Actually it's not the time concern as much as it is him dragging his way through math, or getting distracted by every little thing that happens around him. I'm hoping that the constant flow of new information running across the screen will keep him more engaged. :fingers crossed: ;)

Christi in VA
09-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately, my 9-almost-10-yr-old spends about45 min on math.

Tricia O
09-04-2009, 11:58 PM
That would be my luck, wouldn't it?! :eek::lol:
Actually it's not the time concern as much as it is him dragging his way through math, or getting distracted by every little thing that happens around him. I'm hoping that the constant flow of new information running across the screen will keep him more engaged. :fingers crossed: ;)

Headphones help minimize the distractions for my daughter with Teaching Textbooks! :thumb:

Lori D
09-05-2009, 02:19 AM
Some advice that I received for working with my dd#3, who had a hard time getting done with any subject in a reasonable amount of time-- set a timer. With math, I started with 10 minutes. She ultimately worked up to 20 or so minutes, but it did the trick. The reasoning was that she when sat down and saw an entire math page looming in front of her, it was so overwhelming that she could not function efficiently. Once I took that pressure of "you are going to sit here until it's done" off of her, she started to be able to get her math done- often before the timer went off. This did not happen right away. It was a process, but the sheer relief of know that she would be done, no matter what, in 10 minutes helped her to accomplish more. Just a thought. :)

Jana in SoCal
09-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Some advice that I received for working with my dd#3, who had a hard time getting done with any subject in a reasonable amount of time-- set a timer. With math, I started with 10 minutes. She ultimately worked up to 20 or so minutes, but it did the trick. The reasoning was that she when sat down and saw an entire math page looming in front of her, it was so overwhelming that she could not function efficiently. Once I took that pressure of "you are going to sit here until it's done" off of her, she started to be able to get her math done- often before the timer went off. This did not happen right away. It was a process, but the sheer relief of know that she would be done, no matter what, in 10 minutes helped her to accomplish more. Just a thought. :)

This was our experience too! And this timer (http://www.timetimer.com/products.php) in particular has made a world of difference.

Chris-AL
09-05-2009, 09:07 PM
10yo girl, Saxon 7/6 with Dive DVD, usually~30 minutes, sometimes a little more.

Krissie
09-06-2009, 06:16 AM
My ds 9, uses Horizons Math Grade 4. It usully takes him 30-45 minutes. We have used other curriculums that caused too muc stress and took too much time for my ds liking! We love Horizons.

Merrilee Morse
09-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I set time limits too. My ds Ryan works on math for 30 minutes per day. We use Rod and Staff.