PDA

View Full Version : Games that encourage reading?

Lisa G in CO
09-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I am searching for some games (board games, family games, etc) that would encourage a reluctant reader (entering 4th grade) to enjoy reading a bit more. Any ideas or family favorites you wouldn't mind sharing?

Tami in IA
09-02-2009, 03:17 PM
:hi: Lisa,
I'm just popping in to say welcome to the boards and that I will be watching this thread because I too have a reluctant reader, my ds who has just entered 3rd grade.

Alice
09-02-2009, 03:47 PM
My son enjoyed treasure hunts a lot. I would write out the clues and then he had to read them and follow them to a treasure. Sometimes it was a little prize I had, sometimes something like a little sweet treat, sometimes something we'd do together.

Heather W
09-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Try Games for Reading and Games for Learning both by Peggy Kaye. Excellent stuff!

Kendra AU
09-02-2009, 04:29 PM
What about things like computer type games that would require reading in order to play?? If it's a "I have to do it in order to progress through my game" would that work?

Robin in Colorado
09-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Try Games for Reading and Games for Learning both by Peggy Kaye. Excellent stuff!

:yes: and get the math one, too, if you can find it!

Krissie
09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
My kids love Mad Libs. Besides reading it also strengthens their grasp of verbs, nouns, adjectives, etc. I bought them Clone War and Halloween Mad Libs today. They were laughing so hard and learning at the same time.

Kendall in GA
09-02-2009, 08:07 PM
http://www.amazon.com/How-Your-Child-Love-Reading/dp/1565123085/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251939940&sr=1-1

Lisa G in CO
09-03-2009, 09:52 AM
:hcry:

Shauna
09-03-2009, 10:59 AM
My son enjoyed treasure hunts a lot. I would write out the clues and then he had to read them and follow them to a treasure. Sometimes it was a little prize I had, sometimes something like a little sweet treat, sometimes something we'd do together.

We do this too. Now that DD8 is older and reads well, I usually encode the clues. She enjoys ciphers and spy-related things, so she likes the added challenge.

Lori D
09-03-2009, 03:02 PM
I am a big fan of Peggy Kayes books too!

I also came across these (http://www.highsmith.com/edupress/Phonics-Games-23556261/) phonics games by Edupress recently. Each game is offered at two levels.

Shelly L
09-04-2009, 03:44 PM
I second Games for Reading and also playing Mad Libs. We found some Jr. Mad Libs and my daughter thinks these are a hoot!

I was amazed, however, at how interested she became in Apples to Apples. We have the Jr version and got it two Christmases ago. I had to help her on many of the words at first, but it didn't stop her from wanting to play and jumping in and trying! Even though the words aren't simple, the challenge was enjoyable and fun. Now that her reading has improved, I think she would like it even more. Makes me think we need to get that out this weekend....

Shelly L.