PDA

View Full Version : Reading and Math for kindergarten

tracy in WI
09-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi, I am just beginning with my dd for kindergarten and I was wondering what programs have worked for others for the reading (phonics) and math for this age group. I was looking at hooked on kindergarten that includes phonics, writing and math but I wanted to know what other people have used. Thanks so much.

Hope
09-05-2009, 12:28 PM
When my middles were that age I used Alpha-Phonics and Explode the Code for reading. For math I used Making Math Meaningful.

KristenS
09-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Horizons math and Explode the Code phonics has worked for us.

Heather W
09-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Reading Made Easy (http://www.valeriebendt.com)!!!

Math on the Level (http://mathonthelevel.com)

Alicia
09-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I've used Sing, Spell, Read, and Write with my two oldest sons, and Bob Books {from the library} and Explode the Code with my youngest. I didn't use a special program for math in K. I just taught them things like telling time with a plastic clock and flashcards, money, and basic addition with dominoes, felt numbers, etc.

Holly S
09-05-2009, 03:05 PM
My DS is using Get Ready for the Code series for phonics and Singapore's Essential Math A and B.

elizawill
09-05-2009, 07:12 PM
for grade k with my dd, we used saxon k & math mammoth. for phonics she used explode the code and alternated it with headsprout lessons online.

for my ds (in k this year), we are using hooked on phonics k & making math meaningful level k.

Rebe
09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Reading: Bob books and easy reader library books. For a struggling reader, I've added Explode the Code if needed.

Math: No curriculum. Just games, counting/adding with beans or other manipulatives, fun worksheets I find at Enchanted Learning.com, etc. When they're ready (or begging for a text/workbook of their own) then we start MCP Math (Modern Curriculum Press).

CJ
09-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Explode the Code and Modern Curriculum Press Math for K.

Melanie
09-05-2009, 11:23 PM
We are doing K right now.

Math - RightStart Math
Reading - Currently finishing up Explode the Code primers and will move on to Book 1 shortly. We also have Happy Phonics, which we use occassionally. He is starting to "get" reading, so I guess what we are doing is working!

Kisha
09-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Explode the Code and Math U See

Jennifer in TX
09-06-2009, 08:08 AM
This is our second round with:

Rightstart Level A (love, love, love it!!!!!)
Reading Made Easy (gentle like FIAR)

Denise H
09-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Reading: My oldest ds used Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
Dd and 2nd ds used Happy Phonics. They all have done Explode the Code.

Math: My oldest 2 dc didn't use formal math in K. We played a lot of games and did fun workbooks, then started Math-U-See in first grade.
2nd ds did Math-U-See Primer in K.

Jeni
09-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Reading Made Easy (http://www.valeriebendt.com)!!!

Math on the Level (http://mathonthelevel.com)

This is our Kindergarten plan as well when my 3yo turns 5. ;)

I don't consider handwriting necessary in K. If the child is willing and able, I don't see a problem with including it but if they struggle with fine motor skills, I just work on motor skills in K and delay formal handwriting instruction until 1st or even 2nd grade depending on the child.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Nancy Ann
09-06-2009, 11:47 AM
When it came to phonics the Get Ready for the Code books A,B,C went over really well. The Explode the Code starting with book 1 didin't go over well because my son started to not like workbooks. They are a great workbook set. I just prefer to not teach phonics in that way. I did alot of hopping around with things for phonics. I wish I would have just picked something like Phonics Pathways, Reading Made Easy or The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and saw it to it's end. That is what I am going to do this next time around and than just pick up games here and there to supplement.

We use Phonics Pathway in 1st grade and part of this year (2nd grade) as well. I really like this book, it's very simple to just pick up and sit in the easy recliner and do the lesson together. I like the conversational style and simplicity of it.

For Math, we did Saxon Math 1 for K. I know that sounds crazy but it's actually recommended to just skip the Saxon K because Saxon Math 1 goes soooo slow and repeats alot of things it really was not a problem. However, I got tired of Saxon being so slow and other problems so now we are doing Right Start. I think Right Start is a great, great math program! I love the way it teaches concepts with the abacus. It's hard to explain but it has very unique approach to teaching math and it does not use worksheets very often you do your lessons with games they provide the stuff for. Also NO DRILLS for teaching math facts. These are big plusses for me!! I totally recommend this program!

I used A Reason For Writing for K for practicing penmanship, this was good if you have a child that likes to color. They do the practice on one side and the other side is a coloring page of an animal.

Lori D
09-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Ruth Beechick's The Three R's (http://www.mottmedia.com/pages/publications.asp?Pub=beechick#TheThreeRs-ThreeBooks)is a great resource for K.

Julie in FL
09-07-2009, 10:31 AM
We are using ETC and Bob Books (which my dd LOVES)

For math we are using the Saxon K (and it's easy) so you may want to look at Saxon 1 if you are considering Saxon.

Shauna in TX
09-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Our best combo was Right Start Math level A and Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. It worked for us because my child doesn't like workbooks, RS has lots of hands-on activities and OPG has the child practicing the concepts by reading a story focusing on the sounds in the lesson.

Laura F
09-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Math: Math U See, Horizons
Reading: Explode the Code, Bob books, Reading Made Easy

Tricia O
09-07-2009, 03:14 PM
We've used Reading Made Easy with both our girls and plan to use it with Michael also, but it is currently out on loan. He's going through Queen's Language Lessons & Bob books & picking up a bit here and there (can sound out CVC words, and this morning he sounded out last, lest & back).
Both our girls did MUS primer for Kindergarten, but didn't get much farther than Alpha before we switched to Horizons. I like Horizons better than MUS, but there are a lot of problems (even if you cut some of them out) and we recently switched our math-phobic fourth grader to Teaching Textbooks. We aren't really doing much of a formal math for K for Michael, other than Funtastic Frogs. He already knows so much from listening to us teach his sisters anyway. ;)

Lisa in the UP of MI
09-08-2009, 03:42 PM
My oldest is in K this year. We are doing a combo of Right Start and Math on the Level for math. For reading, we started activities from Montessori Read and Write at age 3 and switched to All About Spelling at age 4. She made the jump into reading in the spring and has just been reading books since then. We just started All About Spelling again after a long break.

BethInOK
09-09-2009, 07:48 AM
We use Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons, and Singapore for math.

ElizabethLinNC
09-09-2009, 10:48 AM
I considered several reading programs, including The Ordinary Parent's Guide (Wise), Explode the Code (own a few books), 100 Easy Lessons, etc. but ultimately felt like Reading Made Easy was the best fit for my dd and most intuitive for me. We did end up getting the accompanying activity books (on CD) and that has been great as we get going here again, my almost 6 yo has been going through the worksheets for the first dozen lessons that we did last spring, and has been doing great with them so it's a confidence builder and a review rather than starting again. I hope to start doing new lessons next week, once we finish up the worksheets through lesson 12.

I think there are so many great ways to help your kids learn to read, it's about finding the right fit for your family. I have confidence that my girls will learn to read and read well, but even more importantly I want them to love reading, and I think FIAR fosters a love of reading for sure! :)

Right now we are not using a math curriculum, just play math games and count a lot and talk about numbers. I think that at some point, either this winter or next Fall, I will purchase Math on the Level. I've been impressed by what I've read here, heard IRL, and I'm on the yahoo group and I'm amazed by the amount of support there- sort of like the support that you get here with the Lamberts participating and supporting us. :)

TinaM
09-10-2009, 09:13 AM
For both my girls, we did RightStart Math Level A.