PDA

View Full Version : Who says you need paper to do spelling?!

Kendall in GA
09-09-2009, 07:35 AM
My busy little guy is a terrible speller so I'm on a mission to get him up to speed this year. (The good news is that he's making progress. :clap: ) I've discovered that spelling orally and on paper just don't work for him; the retention is not there. Here are some things that I've found work really well for him:

Using letter tiles to practice. (We use our Bananagrams tiles. :thumb: )
Writing on the white board. (He has to change colors every few words. :eyes: )
Spelling tests on the driveway with sidewalk chalk. :thumb:

...Just passing this along in case you need to mixup your spelling routine.

Anyone else have any good ideas to share???

Rachel Jane
09-09-2009, 07:42 AM
~Spell on the stairs. Tell him the word and that it has seven letters. Have him say one letter per stair. If he misses a letter, you have him go back to the bottom and stop on the stair where he said the wrong letter. Have him think about what letter probably comes next and then continue up the stairs.

~Play spell toss. Say your word is "stop". You say< "S" and throw a bean bag. He tries to say "T" as he catches or before he catches the bean bag, then he chucks it to you.

~Spell on a mini trampoline. Each letter gets one hop.

~Put all the letters of his spelling list words on cue cards on the floor. Have him hop to each letter as it comes next.

~Put all the letters on the floor. Tell him a word to spell. Set your timer. See how fast he can bring you the right letters of the word. Then let him put them in the right order to spell the word (not timed).

rachelmn
09-09-2009, 07:57 AM
:clap: Fabulous ideas guys!!!:clap:

Laurie Dawn
09-09-2009, 08:08 AM
:cool: Love it!

Rebe
09-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Writing on the white board. (He has to change colors every few words. :eyes: )

Which is better than changing with every letter. :eyes: :eyes:

(Great ideas, here!)

Esther-Alabama
09-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Great ideas!! For those funny words that have spellings that do not go along with how they sound.... like what, was, could, know, etc.... I draw each word on a piece of paper and draw characters on each letter. I tell him a story base on the pictures and it includes the word several times. He looks at it several times a day and we retell the story. I leave them hanging on the bulletin board till he "gets" that word. Then we move on to a couple more that he has a hard time with.

Like for WHAT..... The W is blowing like the wind and pushing the kite that the letter H is holding, while the A is cheering and the T is clapping.

More often our stories involved guns, tanks, and or military references, too!! Reese would probably LOVE this part, too. ;)

We have LOTS of spelling games and spelling tricks as my dyslexic ds struggles SO with this. We've done almost all of these things and the good news is that my ds wrote a letter yesterday (to Pres. Obama) and he spelled MANY of the words independently and really only needed a little bit of my help. Plus he wrote several essay questions about WW2 for Helen Keller and he did really well then, too.

Denise H
09-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Put sand in a plastic container. (We used something like a long pencil box.)
Practice spelling words by writing them in the sand with a stick.

Or just write the words in the sandbox on a nice day! :cool:

Elizabeth I
09-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Dry erase markers on the windows!

Nancy Ann
09-09-2009, 10:21 PM

(Great ideas, here!)

Yep, every letter here too!!:)

carriejoy
09-09-2009, 10:31 PM
we've been using clay

1. make sure of the meaning of the word (including looking it up if necessary & make up several sentencesusing word correctly)
2. establish a "picture" of the word in your mind
3. use the clay to make a realistic (but quick) representation
4. make the letters w/ clay

Negin
09-10-2009, 01:50 AM

Our dd used to do that when she first learned to write. :lol:

April Marie
09-18-2009, 02:29 AM
we have SPELLED on the mini-tramp (like rachel jane), playing hopscotch (with that sidewalk chalk), and while jumproping

these methods really helped my 11yo learn to spell
so much more exciting!!

Robin H in VA
09-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Great ideas, Kendall but how do you show that for progress? Or do you have to?

I made a 'My Spelling List' for ds that goes in his LA mini office that he writes his words on, but before I erase them, I have to make a copy of it to show for progress. The only problem that I see, is there is no place for him to make corrections. :unsure:

Kendall in GA
09-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Great ideas, Kendall but how do you show that for progress? Or do you have to?

I don't have to; but, I do like to keep track of the words he misspells.

Here's how I do it:

I print his word lists. (I use the words in SSRW. He used that to learn to read; but, I didn't have him do the spelling while learning to read.) I use the lists to help him learn the words and he uses them to "study" on his own.

On "test" day I use the list to dictate the words. I simply circle the words, if any, that he gets wrong. (I am keeping a master of words that he gets wrong so that I can see his weaknesses and if there is a pattern. I will use these words for a review test.) I also write the test date in the upper right hand corner. This helps me keep track of the "tests" I've given.

HTH!

Lisa in the UP of MI
09-18-2009, 02:12 PM
DD enjoyed writing her spelling words on the Aguadoodle mat this week.

Robin H in VA
09-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I don't have to; but, I do like to keep track of the words he misspells.

Here's how I do it:

I print his word lists. (I use the words in SSRW. He used that to learn to read; but, I didn't have him do the spelling while learning to read.) I use the lists to help him learn the words and he uses them to "study" on his own.

On "test" day I use the list to dictate the words. I simply circle the words, if any, that he gets wrong. (I am keeping a master of words that he gets wrong so that I can see his weaknesses and if there is a pattern. I will use these words for a review test.) I also write the test date in the upper right hand corner. This helps me keep track of the "tests" I've given.

HTH!

Ahh, okay. We are really doning the actual spelling yet (were using A Reason for Spelling) but I will keep this in mind when we start. Maybe I can get by with having him to write some of his spelling words on paper and other weeks do them on whiteboard, sidewalk or other surface.

katied
09-18-2009, 09:47 PM
My 7-year-old absolutely loves the computer, so I use spellingcity.com to do all his spelling. Each week, I type his spelling words into spellingcity.com (you can upload as many as you like using batch entry), then he teaches himself using the "Teach Me" link, plays some of the interactive computer games, and finally takes his test using the "Test me" link. LOVE it!

Jennifer K
09-21-2009, 02:28 AM
We have recently found:

http://www.spellingcity.com/

The kids love it! It is free! Easy to create or import spelling lists! And someone has entered in a FIAR spelling list for several of the books :)

Jennifer