PDA

View Full Version : Reluctant writers - something that's working for us

laurie in ok
09-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I was looking at Dianne Crafts's stuff for reluctant writers, and I wanted to share something that is working for us.

I have my dd write a paragraph - and then I give her points for what she's done right. She gets a point for starting her sentences with a capital letter, and a point for using proper punctuation at the end, etc. etc. Anyway, at the end of her paragraph I total up her points, and then I show her where she missed opportunities for other points. I show her any misspelled words, or run-on sentences, improper punctuation - but only a few things a paragraph so as not to overwhelm. When she gets to 50 points, we are going out for icecream.

She is keeping all of her paragraphs in a folder with their points on the top and asking to write paragraphs for points in her free time. :D She has done paragraphs that require research as well as persuasive paragrphs, and reviews.

Her writing is improving so much - and she is not upset when I point out something she has done incorrectly - b/c it is all under the guise of helping her to earn more points on her next paper. All of this happy writing is so worth an icecream cone.

Robin(CA)
09-09-2009, 05:36 PM
That is an excellent idea! I love awarding points for successes instead of deducting points for mistakes. :)

rachelmn
09-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Way to go!!!:clap::clap: That is brilliant!:clap:

Tricia O
09-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Love it!

:clap:

Why isn't my smiley working? :perplex:

Ah, for some reason I had somehow clicked disable smileys in text! :blush:

Rachel Jane
09-09-2009, 05:56 PM
:clap: Great idea! :clap: