View Full Version : after RME?

April in PA
09-10-2009, 08:18 AM
I know this question has been asked a million times, but I wasn't paying attention and need to ask again. :) So, what do you all do with your kiddos after they finish Reading Made Easy?

Heather W
09-10-2009, 09:38 AM
have them read. a lot. Read to them. Have them read to you. If it is a total chore, then share the task with them by paragraph or page.

Steadily their fluency will increase.

FYI- I know Mrs. Bendt is working on a follow up book to RME and it is going to be fantastic:D I can hardly wait myself.

Laura F
09-10-2009, 11:19 AM
We've added spelling and are doing more writing and reading this year.

April in PA
09-10-2009, 11:24 AM
What do you have them read? With my older dd, I felt like I struggled to find appropriate books for her...easy readers were too easy, but other books were too difficult (if that makes sense), and we kind of floundered for a while. Hopefully it will be different this time around, but can anyone recommend specific titles? My library does not have a spectacular selection for me to peruse, but the county system is extensive, and I can usually find and request anything I'm looking for. I blindly started requesting things today, but who knows if they will be any good. :)

Heather, a follow up book would be awesome! Too bad it's not ready yet :(

Heather W
09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Magic Tree House
Magic School Bus chapter books
Henry and Mudge
picture books
American Girl books
little house- easy reads really and you can share the task remember

April in PA
09-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Duh, Henry and Mudge. Should have thought of that. I do feel kind of stupid asking this question now, because the answer seems kind of obvious. But it was very difficult getting my older dd to want to read anything after she finished, and it seemed like most of these titles were too hard for her. But the more I've thought about it, I don't think that my younger dd will give me the same kind of resistance.

Thanks so much for your help, Heather!

Laura F
09-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Your little girl might also like the Fancy Nancy and Junie B. Jones books. If you're in doubt, see if your library has an Easy Readers section. Series like Biscuit, Arthur, Amelia Bedelia, Frances, etc. are all good readers. Oh! and don't forget the Frog and Toad books!