View Full Version : Doing much better with daughter's reading!

Alice R
09-10-2009, 02:31 PM
After taking off some time when Alise was so sick last year, she forgot everything! :eek: And the new stuff we tried was not going well at all. I was crushed.

I decided to go aaaaaall the way back to the way beginning with her. Literally, the beginning.

She has progressed so well!

What I have learned:

No harm in going back. Better to go back then to push forward and have a poor understanding. Just go back and make sure they have it 100%. A big advantage HSers have over regular schools. We can stop and restart as needed.

Reading came late for her and maybe age 7+ was the right time for her to read. I might've pushed her a bit too hard (before she got sick) because I wanted her reading around 1st grade.

Just wanted to share what I learned.

09-10-2009, 04:14 PM
You are a very wise mama, Alice. I'm glad reading is going so well now. :clap:
We're in the same boat here -- middle ds turns 8 next week and he's just now starting to "get it." We're up to lesson 60 in RME and while ds 1 had taken off and was reading on his own by then (we never needed to finish RME), ds 2 is plugging along, slowly but surely.

I'm glad we have the extra time in our homeschool to give them a solid foundation without pressuring them to read before they are ready. :thumb:

Kendall in GA
09-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Btw, tell me...Is Alise really 7yo??? :surprise: Didn't you start here when you only had 2 dc??? I recall that you were pregnant and we were helping you to come up with a name. Was that for Alise??? If it was, say it ain't so...Time certainly flies!! :eek1:

Kelly in WI
09-10-2009, 05:29 PM
I am finding the exact same thing with my 7 year old dd. I went back to lesson 8 in Reading Made Easy, and am doing it all over! She is doing so much better. I think for us, part of it may have been she was my first spring baby...I had fall/winter babies before her. I was rushing her to do the same stuff in the same "grade" that the others had been in.

Alice R
09-10-2009, 05:55 PM
I think you are thinking of Rebekah. We had a TERRIBLE time picking out a name. :lol: I'm still not sure about her name. :lol:

But, I was here posting when I was pregnant with Alise. :yes: I clearly remember posting, so sadly, that since my mom died, I had no one to watch the boys while I had the C-section. :cry: A few NY moms offered to take the boys for me. :group:

Alice R
09-10-2009, 06:01 PM
But back to talking about reading...
I literally went back to "this is a. A says..."

We went that far back...to page 1.

She needed that. She needed me to do it all over again.

I'm so glad that I didn't freak out and push her hard and get all worried and frustrated.

I had posted that she was adding extra sounds when reading. I figured out why. She didn't really know the sounds well. :eek: I have no idea how she didn't know the sounds, living in my house and having two older brothers, but she didn't. Adding sounds that weren't there was her way of just doing something, ANYTHING, to try and read.

Once we went back to "this is b, the b says..." we totally elimintated that problem. I spent about a month on this skill.

I am so shocked she didn't know her sounds. She was a good faker. :lol: Something so simple and I overlooked it because how could it be???? I was thinking dyslexia (my husband is dyslexic) or all sorts of stuff. I never thought about the obvious.

She needed more instruction to make the sounds part of her, ya know? Now she has it down solid.

Well, just sharing hoping to help another mom. :group:

Paige P
09-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm so glad things are better, Alice :clap:

You know, when Katie was in K, I started with one program she absolutely HATED. I moved to another program that went completely against her learning style. She coud real CVC words, but she literally cried every.single.day. :eek: Finally I got a 3rd program (SSRW), and she LOVED it. I started back at the very beginning. We went over letter sounds, sang songs, played games, and she was thrilled. She was successful and found it easy, and that's exactly what she needed -- a positive experience with reading. I'm so glad I went "back," so to speak. It made a tremendous difference for us, as well, and now she's a voracious reader :thumb:

Heidi J
09-10-2009, 07:29 PM
:clap: Thank you for sharing! :kiss:

09-10-2009, 08:17 PM
:clap:what a wonderful story!! and it'll be encouraging for others too! :clap:

molly in cr
09-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Glad things are picking up for her (and you!). :clap: It is good to hear that there is hope for those that struggle (including my struggler!)

09-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks for sharing this.

I have in my head that b/c my daughter is in 1st grade she MUST be reading and fast! She's just not ready yet, I think. We have started at the beginning again this year, and I'm just going to take it easy with her this year.

Melinda in KY
09-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Alice I'm glad you posted and happy for Alise:clap:. Shelby is just starting 3rd grade and reading has been a struggle. I have wondered about dyslexia too. I'm going to see how the next couple of months go and if it doesn't improve I think I am going to seek help.