PDA

View Full Version : Handwriting Without Tears Users - A question

Melanie
09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
My 5 year old ds loves doing workbooks. We are currently working through Letters and Numbers for Me (the K book) and he is blowing through it! He likes to do several letters a day. At first, when we were doing capital letters, it was fine, as he does a decent job with his capital letters. But now we are on lower case letters and he just needs way more practice. He still wants to do a few a day though.

Soooo...since we will probably be through the K book in a month or two, what do we do after? Should we move onto the next HWOT workbook (for 1st grade)? Or should I just focus on copywork? If we go the copywork route, my concern is that I can't do the letters the HWOT way. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

katied
09-11-2009, 03:25 PM
You could xerox off the pages from the manual and have him redo them that way...I think that's permitted for one child. Also, I think the back of the workbook has blank pages you can xerox off to make your own copywork. Or you can purchase special HWOT lined paper and have him do copywork that way.

TonyaP
09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
The next book does a good job of reviewing the upper and lower case letters. There are some copywork materials that have dotted lines for tracing. That would help with form but the formation might not be exactly like HWOT. (I've not noticed that to be a problem for my kids.)

Sasha
09-12-2009, 10:24 AM
The next book does a good job of reviewing the upper and lower case letters.

Yep, I'm on my second round of HWOT. My four year old is on the Get Me Ready book now, his brother went through it and then onto the following book. For first grade he has just started a Memoria Press copywork book and he's doing pretty well. Those two HWOT books really get a :thumb: from me.

Robin(CA)
09-12-2009, 12:29 PM
If you own startwrite and use the lines for HWT you could print copywork for him -- otherwise I'd move on to the first grade book. It has a shorter section on capitals at the beginning and then lots of focus on lowercase letter and copying words.

Melanie
09-13-2009, 10:12 AM
If you own startwrite and use the lines for HWT you could print copywork for him -- otherwise I'd move on to the first grade book. It has a shorter section on capitals at the beginning and then lots of focus on lowercase letter and copying words.

Okay, startwrite is certainly an idea. I think I will look into this (at least it would last longer). Thanks!

Shannon P
09-14-2009, 04:37 PM
We only did one HWT book per year, usually finishing it early in the year. I provided copywork for the rest of the year using StartWrite.

AndreaD
09-14-2009, 06:03 PM
We do the same as Shannon- 1 HWT book each year- with startwrite for the rest. I get sentences out of our FIAR book- and ds gets excited to give me a :thumb: when he hears "his" sentence.