PDA

View Full Version : Crockpot tamale pie

Merrilee Morse
09-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Here is the recipe I tried tonight. It came out :yum:

http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/crockpot/tamalepie.html

Tracey
09-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks! I am always looking for new recipes.

Kristine In Indiana
09-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks me too and I have lots of corn meal to use up.

CJ
09-12-2009, 11:38 PM
My dh will be thrilled. Thank you!

Gwen in Texas
09-13-2009, 06:59 PM
So, the pound of hamburger is browned, right?

Tricia O
09-14-2009, 05:01 PM
How is this supposed to look when it is done?

Merrilee Morse
09-14-2009, 10:41 PM
NO! You do NOT cook the meat first! And when it is done, it looks hard to describe, but the middle should be "set" firm and not liquidy at all. Then you melt the cheese over the top, and it looks :yum:

Tricia O
09-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Oops, we boo-boo'd and cooked the meat first. I have to confess that it did not look appealing at all, and we did not eat it for dinner, as we decided to make the Quesadillas de Camarones instead. :blush:

It is still in the crockpot and we may try to eat it tomorrow for lunch.

Gwen in Texas
09-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks, Merrilee! I'll give it a try this week. :)

Shelly in MN
09-15-2009, 11:14 AM
NO! You do NOT cook the meat first!

It's good to know this detail, because I would have browned it first! :lol: I think this recipe sounds delicious. I'm making it for supper tonight, and can't wait to taste it. :)

Tricia O
09-15-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm making it again today, to compare it to the one from yesterday that is yet uneaten. :blush: I'll let you know how it turns out today!

Julie Y
09-15-2009, 03:17 PM
We're having it tonight, as well. I added a can of green chiles because, well, we add green chiles to just about everything :lol:!

Tricia O
09-15-2009, 05:43 PM
We're having it tonight, as well. I added a can of green chiles because, well, we add green chiles to just about everything :lol:!

Great idea! Now why couldn't you have posted this yesterday or this morning before I put it in the crockpot again? :lol:

We have homemade taco seasoning and I did add some of that, as DH said the first batch (made with cooked ground beef) seemed to need something. Of course, we made it wrong which may explain that. :lol:

Shelly in MN
09-15-2009, 06:18 PM
I've got a great big old crockpot of grease over here. :tongue:

I think if I'm ever inclined to try this again, I'll brown the hamburger and crock it for a shorter period of time.:)

Tricia O
09-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Our second try turned out great! The kids even asked for seconds. This was the batch that we did not brown the meat beforehand. However, our ground beef came from a cow that Matt's parents had raised, so our meat was fairly lean to begin with. We taste-tested this and the batch with the browned meat, and there wasn't that much of a taste difference at all. The only difference is that today's batch was smoother and yesterday's pre-browned batch was a bit lumpier. We ate almost all of today's batch (except a bit I'll be saving for lunch tomorrow), and will put the other batch into the freezer for a meal one day when we don't have time to cook.
Overall, I would say this was a great recipe since it was quick and easy (especially since we didn't have to pre-cook the meat) and the kids asked for seconds. :lol:

Shelly in MN
09-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Okay, after much blotting with paper towels, we had a great meal!!:clap::clap: Lanse and Isaiah loved it and had seconds. Very tasty!:cool:

Merrilee Morse
09-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Perhaps I should have mentioned sooner; I buy only top grade ground sirloin from Costco, not regular old greasy hamburger :blush:

MichelleTN
09-15-2009, 10:44 PM
So do you think this would work with deer burger?

Shelly in MN
09-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Perhaps I should have mentioned sooner; I buy only top grade ground sirloin from Costco, not regular old greasy hamburger :blush:

Details, details. It all worked out in the end. ;)

Donna L
09-16-2009, 01:18 AM
:cool: Cool beans. I happen to have everything on hand this morning and I am going to be gone on an outing all day. SO this is the perfect meal for tonight! Can't wait to try it

MichelleTN
09-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Don't know if I did something wrong. It didn't look good but it sure tasted good. Dss and dh really liked it.

We had already started eating when dh came in. He called to say he would be late go ahead and start eating. When dh walked through the door I dished his plate. He walked in, looked at his plate and I saw a look pass over his face. I told him "It may not look good but at it tastes good. The boys are on their second helping each" Boys are saying "yeah good" between bites. :lol:

Gwen in Texas
09-24-2009, 12:25 AM
I have a big oval crockpot. Should I double? :unsure:

Shelly in MN
09-24-2009, 01:34 AM
I have a big oval crockpot. Should I double? :unsure:

I doubled the recipe with my large (I think it's a 5 qt, but I'm too lazy to go into the kitchen right now:lol: )oval crockpot, Gwen. :glasses:

Krista Joy
09-24-2009, 06:08 AM
I make tamale pie very similar to this- although we do brown the ground beef, and substitute chopped tomatoes and onions for the salsa- any salsa we have out here is homemade, so I don't want to waste in in a recipe. :lol:
It's getting to be hot season again here, so I'm going to be turning back to my crockpot for meals for the next month or so. That keeps the temp down to 95 degrees or so in the kitchen, instead of 100 + :eek:

Thanks for the reminder of a yummy and easy meal!

KayH
09-24-2009, 08:53 AM
:thumb: Sounds yummy! I don't think hubby will be able to eat it though... :unsure:

Candace C
09-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I think I would have to brown the meat first. :perplex:

It doesn't say to brown it, but it doesn't say not to either. :lol: The one recipe where they say do NOT brown meat that comes to mind is that tater-tot casserole and that thing grossed me out! :lol:

I came looking for more crockpot recipes, though, so i'm planning to try it! It sounds yummy!! THANKS!

Kelly in WI
09-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Do you think this would work with fresh ground popcorn instead of the cornmeal?

Tricia O
06-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Does anyone have this recipe handy? I was planning this for dinner tonight & can't find my copy of the recipe. The web page no longer works. Help! :eek:

Tricia O
06-05-2012, 10:13 AM
I found this version which looks similar to what I remember:

http://www.recipelion.com/Crock-Pot-Recipes/Fiesta-Tamale-Pie#

Cooking Time: 7 hr
Ingredients

1 pound extra-lean ground beef
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
14 to 16 ounce jar thick and chunky salsa
16 ounces can whole-kernel corn, drained
1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese

Instructions

In a large bowl, mix cornmeal and broth; let stand 5 minutes.
Brown ground beef in a skillet.
Stir in beef, chili powder, cumin, salsa, corn, and olives.
Pour into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 5 to 7 hours or until set.
Sprinkle cheese over top; cover and cook another 5 minutes or until cheese melts.