PDA

View Full Version : Using a CM approach, tell me about how you do spelling.

Christy in NE
09-17-2009, 09:36 AM
I want to try to follow a Charlotte Mason approach, as much as possible.

It's been well over a year since I have done this, so am rusty in my thoughts.

I have most things down well, I think-except spelling. Ds does really well with spelling-and said he would like to do a spelling bee someday. That's all fine by me, I am just wondering how I do this w/o getting a formal spelling curriculum.

Can you please share how you use the notebooking, dictation, copywork,etc..with well learned lessons in spelling?

Many Thanks,
~M

Heather W
09-17-2009, 10:43 AM
This (http://blogshewrote.blogspot.com/2008/06/thoughts-on-grammar.html) is what we do and we include spelling.

Christi in VA
09-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Here's (http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/2006/09/teaching-spelling-through-studied.html) a great article on this.

This is a great method for FIAR

Nedra
09-17-2009, 11:31 AM
We use this:

http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/spelling-wisdom/

WendyW
09-17-2009, 11:52 AM
When my dd was little, we would do a spelling bee with her stuffed animals. she lined up all her animals in a row, and she did all the spelling for each animal's turn. Each was removed from the line if she misspelled their word.

You would not need a formal spelling program to do this. You could just use a list of whatever words he's working on or has studied in the past. If he doesn't like stuffed animals, use his super-hero figures, or whatever he DOES like.

Also, you could check into the National Spelling Bee program. Many homeschoolers have won it in the past. Sometimes the homeschoolers are able to join with the local school for the local Bee, other times local homeschool groups have their own preliminary rounds.

elizawill
09-17-2009, 01:51 PM
we use copywork & dictation. CM uses poetry and literature, but we currently use the "draw write now" books (we're in book 1). this is how we implement it:

Monday - Grace copies sentences from a lesson in DWN

Tuesday - Dictation (from the same DWN lesson used previously). Grace writes the sentences while I read them aloud slowly. She then proofreads her work & makes necessary corrections if needed.

Wednesday/Friday – Repeat dictation if mistakes were made previously, otherwise we move on.

Thursday (optional) - I make a grammar worksheet using sentences from the previous DWN lesson. I purposefully make punctuation and spelling errors for her to correct.

My dd also likes to draw the picture each day, but she certainly doesn't have too.

HTH.

Tracey
09-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Marie C, you have been given some good advice and links here for spelling without a formal program. I had purchased spelling power but my kids were just breezing through it (not a brag) so I posted the same question. I get that they need to know the rules of spelling. When I asked how to use the CM method for spelling I just went to Heather W's blog and printed out her "thoughts on grammar" and this is the way we do the spelling words now. It really does make sense to have them learn to spell the words that come from their own writings and literature. I also read a lot of articles by Ruth Beechick. She has a good one right now in the current Homeschooling Today magazine.

Christy in NE
09-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Heather and Christi-thank you for the links! It is all starting to come back to me! :lol:

Nedra-maybe I'll consider that next year if I see or sense the need. I had never heard of that before!

Wendy- thanks for the ideas!

Elizawill-thanks so much for laying it out there for me!:)

Tracey-thanks for sharing your experiences! I toe my home apart today trying to find Ruth Beechick's, The Three R's-no luck! I need to read her articles,too. Her approach was instrumental in how I hsed my dd.

I am at peace, w/o a formal program! For now!:lol:

Thank you!!

Tracey
09-17-2009, 09:12 PM
I sent you a private message with some Ruth Beechick info.

Christy in NE
09-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks, Tracey! I PMed you back! :)

I asked ds to write our shopping list for Wal-Mart tonight. He spelled *almost* every word correctly....

wipes
paper towels
toilet paper
freezer bags
cat food
shoe boxes
velcro stuff(for my workboxes!:roflol:)
foil
peanut butter
cheese sticks
smart water
frozen pizza
bleach-actually, he spelled bleech.

what struck me as funny and an obvious sign that our family LOVES mexican food, is that he spelled "tortillas" right! :lol:

So... I think he is doing very well! Not bad for a young 8yo in second grade! I'm so not sweating the absence of a formal spelling curriculum.:clap:

~M

Christy in NE
09-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Okay! I can't do this!

I *want* to do it-but am driving myself crazy this weekend, trying to come up with a months worth of "passages" for ds. I want the whole copywork/dictation/spelling and *basic* grammar. However, I do not have the confidence or time or patience to do the digging around myself.
Since I am really drawn to CM's approach, I am going to take it easy on myself and look into Queen's Homeschooling materials.:cool1:

In addition to this, I ran my plan-with all of it's gaps-by dh. It was not received well.:oh:

I can say, that I am committed to *no* formal spelling at this time. There! I said it and unless dh really pushes the issue-I'm sticking with my plan.:lol: The rest I am off to investigate....

Lisa in AL
09-19-2009, 09:40 PM
I like this (http://shoelacebooks.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=1490908) spelling program. It is CM style. The book covers grades 3-12. :)

Tracey
09-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks, Tracey! I PMed you back! :)

I asked ds to write our shopping list for Wal-Mart tonight. He spelled *almost* every word correctly....

wipes
paper towels
toilet paper
freezer bags
cat food
shoe boxes
velcro stuff(for my workboxes!:roflol:)
foil
peanut butter
cheese sticks
smart water
frozen pizza
bleach-actually, he spelled bleech.

what struck me as funny and an obvious sign that our family LOVES mexican food, is that he spelled "tortillas" right! :lol:

So... I think he is doing very well! Not bad for a young 8yo in second grade! I'm so not sweating the absence of a formal spelling curriculum.:clap:

~M

This is very good! :clap:

Tracey
09-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Okay! I can't do this!

I *want* to do it-but am driving myself crazy this weekend, trying to come up with a months worth of "passages" for ds. I want the whole copywork/dictation/spelling and *basic* grammar. However, I do not have the confidence or time or patience to do the digging around myself.
Since I am really drawn to CM's approach, I am going to take it easy on myself and look into Queen's Homeschooling materials.:cool1:

In addition to this, I ran my plan-with all of it's gaps-by dh. It was not received well.:oh:

I can say, that I am committed to *no* formal spelling at this time. There! I said it and unless dh really pushes the issue-I'm sticking with my plan.:lol: The rest I am off to investigate....

Marie, just do not stress out. Do the Queen's lessons just enjoy your time. :group: