PDA

View Full Version : Ack! Phonics! Does ds really need this instruction?

Christy in NE
09-17-2009, 05:26 PM
After a whirlwind last several days of deciding to hs, pulling ds out of ps, filing papers with the state, ordering basic curriculum, attending various activities to see what will fit us- I am exhausted. (I'm sorry to complain-I'm excited, too, but it's all happened so fast...)

I'm heading to Wal-mart this evening, and while trying to figure out how/what my workbox system was going to include-I realized that I completely forgot about phonics.

I did a quick search here, and am more confused.:unsure:

Ds finished Explode the Code Primers before he entered 1st grade, was instructed in phonics in ps 1st grade and the first few weeks at ps this year.
Though he prefers non-fiction books about sports, when he reads he will usually choose a Magic Treehouse book, Nate the Great(Grate?),Cam Jensen, and we take turns reading every other page of a BoxCar Children book.

I had him read the sample page of ETC 3 and 4. He read both, though struggled slightly with level 4-but the print is so small-and he does have vision problems, so it could have been just that. But, he did read each word.

I have spent more money than I cared to spend this week, especially since I enrolled ds in two co-op classes.

I am too tired to read and read about what to do. Do ya'll mind giving me your advice??:lol::cool:

Thank you!

Robin(CA)
09-17-2009, 06:05 PM
If he can read, he doesn't need phonics instruction. If he is struggling, he may need some extra phonics help, but I would wait until you get comfortable homeschooling.

Remember, you don't have to do everything all at once!

AndreaD
09-17-2009, 06:05 PM
It sounds like he's reading fluently- if he's reading magic tree house without problems. You could not bother with Phonics if you want, just let him READ read and read some more.

That said-he sounds just about on the same level as my 7 yr old- I have him doing Explode the code- he just finished etc book 3 today- and will start on book 4. My reasons for continuing with ETC- spelling! lol- I think with a better phonics base- I'm hoping he'll be a better speller than his big bro.

Suz MamaFrog
09-17-2009, 06:15 PM
He's already reading, but he may still need some "brush ups" with certain skill areas or sounds. I'd suggest Progressive Phonics. It free online - all you have to do is register. That way, you could just do the lessons/pages ds needed. The link is www.progressivephonics.com You can either print out what you need, or read it online.

HTH!

Blessings!
Suz-

Laura F
09-17-2009, 06:17 PM
If he can read, he doesn't need phonics instruction. If he is struggling, he may need some extra phonics help, but I would wait until you get comfortable homeschooling.

Remember, you don't have to do everything all at once!

:yes: Take a deep breath and enjoy the start of your new school year. Everything will fall into place, and you'll need this year to figure out what works and what your ds needs.

Christy in NE
09-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks, Ladies!

Suz-thanks for that link!:)

I am going to hold off for now. In my thread about a spelling curriculum, I just posted about ds writing our shopping list tonight. It pretty much confirmed what I suspected-he is fine!! I may be wrong down the road, but at this time, I seriously doubt he will suffer w/o further phonics. We'll see...