View Full Version : Great math day!

09-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Remember my dilemma from a few weeks ago with oldest ds and math and how it was taking him *forever* to get through his lesson? I went ahead and ordered Teaching Textbooks and he's been doing it for a week or so.

Well, this morning I got up and he said, "Mom I already finished my math!" :clap: He's really enjoying doing it on the computer. I also have him working in a daily word problem book for some extra word problem practice. :thumb:

Shannon F.
09-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Ugh, I so want to go to this, but I've already bought all of grade three.

Shannon F.
09-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Oh, I got so caught up in my emotions of our math, that I forgot to comment on yours...:clap::)

09-18-2009, 06:28 PM
:clap: Robin!! Glad to hear that Teaching Textbooks is working for you!

09-18-2009, 09:17 PM
That is great! I am glad you found something he likes. :clap:

Tricia O
09-18-2009, 10:40 PM
I switched my math-phobic oldest daughter to Teaching Textbooks 4. She loves it and is doing great with it.

We did have an issue whereupon I found out she was cheating though (partly our fault for not paying enough attention, but I am fairly certain I caught it early). She was using the calculator on the computer to help a bit. When I guessed this, I asked her about it and she was honest enough to admit it (very sadly, so I know she knew it was wrong and felt badly).

We used this as a learning opportunity, and didn't punish her for it, but used it as an opportunity to discuss why she thought she needed to use the calculator, and was there something she needed us to help more or practice more with, and it really was a beneficial conversation for both of us. I did delete the shortcuts to the calculator (although she doesn't know the calculator is still there hiding under programs).

I don't know how much she used it, but after that, we decided to have her view the lesson, then do the problems in the workbook, and then either she or we could input the answers into the computer to check the work. (If we put it in, we let her know when she missed one, so she can get a second chance, if offered, or view the solution.) This way we can see her work. I told her when I was in school, if you didn't show your work, it counted as wrong even if you got the right answer.

We do love the program though, and she's all the way up to multiplying three numbers now (like 9 X 7 X 4) and also problems like (232 x 3) but hasn't yet gotten to multiplication with carrying (do they call it carrying in multiplication also)?

Sorry I wrote a book! :)

09-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks Tricia! That was helpful and something that I certainly want to stay on top of. I wasn't sure if I would have him work the problems out in the book or just in a lined notebook.

Julie in AZ
09-18-2009, 11:26 PM

TT has stopped some of the math drama at our house. :eyes:

I'm really pleased with the program too. :)

09-19-2009, 11:18 AM
TT put an end to math drama here, too (for my oldest). Glad it's working for you, too!