PDA

View Full Version : Queens vs. Primary language lessons vs. English for the thoughtful dc....

Christy in NE
09-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Are any of you familiar with these? I used PLL w/ my dd(the old edition). I have no experience with the other two-just love the descriptions!:)

If you use any of these curricula, do you feel the materials compliment FIAR? How and why?

For those of you that have used their material with your boys, did they like it? Is the Queens LA curriculum for 2nd and 3rd grade truly one I could stretch over two years with my ds?(Not doing it everyday?)

I want the scoop! Pleeease???:lol:

(((Thank you))))

~M

Tracey
09-19-2009, 09:22 PM
:hi: Hi Marie, I have both Primary and Intermediate lang. lessons, and I planned to use them this year but I really do not feel like I need either. We have enrichment classes on Monday, and we have to leave early so I will occasionally just do some of the picture studies and conversations with my dds but other than that the books just sit on the shelf. I think they are great books but with Beyond and vol 4 titles there are a lot of LA possibilities, and I am happy with that. I do use What Your ______Grader Needs to Know to make sure we cover what is necessary.

From what I understand about PLL you are suppose to do 3 lessons a week.

Jeni
09-20-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm doing Intermediate Language Lessons with my 8yo dd and it's working out very well. We are doing 3 lessons per week. At this rate we will be able to use ILL for both 3rd and 4th grade. :thumb: On the in between days when we aren't doing a ILL lesson, she does copywork or journal entries. One of the assignments in ILL last week was to copy a poem, she used all 5 days last week to copy it. We will move on to the next lesson tomorrow. ILL combined with the LA lessons in FIAR makes the perfect language arts for upper elementary in our homeschool . ILL is gentle and easy to implement (not to mention free on Google books :thumb: ). I wish I had known about ILL with my older boys. The only LA type thing we add to this is spelling.

We've also tried First Language Lessons, that was a flop here. I considered Queen's but could not afford it in the end (4 books times about $25 per book including shipping was just more than my budget could bear ;) ). Each book is one year's worth of material, 180 lessons. To make it last two years, you'd have to do approximately 2.5 lessons per week. Doable I suppose, but each level has more than one book. When they finish Language Lessons for the Elementary Child 1 they are ready for Language Lessons for the Elementary Child 2.

Nancy Ann
09-20-2009, 02:04 PM
We have English for the Thoughtful Child and Primary Language Lessons. They are both wonderful if you want a lighter language arts program that reflects a CM style. You don't need to do them everyday and they are made so that you really concentrate on the lesson and are in no hurry to move on to the next lessons.

English for the Thoughtful Child asks for quite a bit of writing that would be too much for my son. But we did it orally instead of having him write it out so it worked just fine.

They are both really great. The only problem I have with it is what do you use AFTER. There is Intermediate Language Lessons, Simply Grammar and EFTTC 2. So basically it goes to about 5th or 6th grade.

One of the reasons I have switched to First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease is because she is creating this language arts currciculum to go through all the way to highschool. Her curriculum will also have a gradual progression and increase in challenge each year. Those two things are important to me. FLL and WWE is more of a classical approach and heavier on grammar, but I am okay with that. They still use copywork, narration and dictation techniques and so it's a good compromise. It's a curriculum I can depend on for language arts through highschool and is not a workbook and still has the important Charlotte Mason techniques. Again, I have to make this curriculum fit our family by making adjustments. I don't drill the grammar like FLL wants me to. I just lightly review it.

Christy in NE
09-20-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm doing Intermediate Language Lessons with my 8yo dd and it's working out very well. We are doing 3 lessons per week. At this rate we will be able to use ILL for both 3rd and 4th grade. :thumb: On the in between days when we aren't doing a ILL lesson, she does copywork or journal entries. One of the assignments in ILL last week was to copy a poem, she used all 5 days last week to copy it. We will move on to the next lesson tomorrow. ILL combined with the LA lessons in FIAR makes the perfect language arts for upper elementary in our homeschool . ILL is gentle and easy to implement (not to mention free on Google books :thumb: ). I wish I had known about ILL with my older boys. The only LA type thing we add to this is spelling.

We've also tried First Language Lessons, that was a flop here. I considered Queen's but could not afford it in the end (4 books times about $25 per book including shipping was just more than my budget could bear ;) ). Each book is one year's worth of material, 180 lessons. To make it last two years, you'd have to do approximately 2.5 lessons per week. Doable I suppose, but each level has more than one book. When they finish Language Lessons for the Elementary Child 1 they are ready for Language Lessons for the Elementary Child 2.

Hi Jeni,

Is your 8yo dd in second or third grade? I do have ILL, (used it with my dd in higher grades) but just assumed it would be too advanced for a young 8 yo. I also have the old edition, which doesn't come with a teacher's guide.

Though we can't swing it this pay period, since I am hsing only one dc, in two weeks we could probably afford Queens...but, truthfully, I am a little leary of it based on some reviews I read. ( Though I know one curriculum never gets a five star from *everyone*.)

Thanks,
~M
:)

Christy in NE
09-20-2009, 02:24 PM
We have English for the Thoughtful Child and Primary Language Lessons. They are both wonderful if you want a lighter language arts program that reflects a CM style. You don't need to do them everyday and they are made so that you really concentrate on the lesson and are in no hurry to move on to the next lessons.

English for the Thoughtful Child asks for quite a bit of writing that would be too much for my son. But we did it orally instead of having him write it out so it worked just fine.

They are both really great. The only problem I have with it is what do you use AFTER. There is Intermediate Language Lessons, Simply Grammar and EFTTC 2. So basically it goes to about 5th or 6th grade.

One of the reasons I have switched to First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease is because she is creating this language arts currciculum to go through all the way to highschool. Her curriculum will also have a gradual progression and increase in challenge each year. Those two things are important to me. FLL and WWE is more of a classical approach and heavier on grammar, but I am okay with that. They still use copywork, narration and dictation techniques and so it's a good compromise. It's a curriculum I can depend on for language arts through highschool and is not a workbook and still has the important Charlotte Mason techniques. Again, I have to make this curriculum fit our family by making adjustments. I don't drill the grammar like FLL wants me to. I just lightly review it.

Thanks, Nancy Ann!

I tried using FLL with my dd when she was much younger-but the drill and kill was just too much. Of course, I was new to hsing, so I went ahead and did every.single.thing. Oddly, she never remembered much of it months later.:unsure: To get us by until now, I could certainly tweak it to avoid the drill and kill.:lol:

I do want to stick with something very gentle with our ds.:unsure:

Thanks for letting me know about all of the writing in English For A Thoughtful Child-ds wouldn't like that at all.;)

So, any Queens fans out there?:D

Tricia O
09-20-2009, 06:35 PM
So, any Queens fans out there?:D

:hi:

We are!

I recently shared our thoughts about it in this thread.

http://www.fiarhq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65451

I can't compare it to your other options though.

Tracey
09-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Marie, I am glad you posted this. I really could not figure out how and when to use PLL/ILL. I posted about this and I think only Suz replied. Anyway, after reading Jeni's post I think I may go back and re-evaluate if I can fit PLL/ILL in to our schedule. They really are easy to use and do not take up much time. We usually do them on Monday so maybe I could add Wednesday and Friday and see what happens.

Have you decided what you will be using yet?

Jeni
09-21-2009, 08:18 AM
I consider my 8yo dd to be in 3rd grade this fall. She has a July birthday and had she started PS K the year she was 5yo she would be in 3rd grade this year. I don't really do grade levels for anything other than social events though. ;)

I had the same concerns about ILL but after asking around the online homeschool community a bit, I decided to give it a try and so far I've not been disappointed. ;) She's never had any kind of grammar instruction and she is doing beautifully with ILL. I don't have a teacher's guide either since I'm using the Google books edition. We just do one lesson each on M, W and F and let copywork assignments roll into T and Th is need be.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Tracey
09-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Jeni, I bought both PLL/ILL teacher guides and honestly after going through each one page by page there is only a minimal amount of difference between the guide and the books. The teacher's guide is word for word the same as the book for the student. They have added a few things here and there as an extra but really I was not impressed. There are a few worksheet-type things in the back like a blank calendar, a venn diagram, Rubric sheets, and something else? I had a friend go through it too and she felt like you only needed one or the other. The child could work out of the teacher's guide or the book. Well, thanks for your description of how you use ILL it does help and I think I may give it a try. :)

Christy in NE
09-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks, Tricia!:)

Jeni-I know what you mean about the grade thing.;) We did "hold" ds back-so "officially", so is in 2nd grade.
I don't remember PLL-it's been a long time since I saw it in person-but it's interesting what you say about ILL, as I had heard the opposite!:lol:

Tracey-Good to know aobut the teacher's guides! Thanks!:)

Anyway-I'm still undecided! Trying not to drive myself crazy in the meantime! :cool:

Since I already have FLL, I may just stick with it for now, and tweak away!:D

Thanks everyone for your input!:group: