PDA

View Full Version : Story of the World users

Robin H in VA
09-20-2009, 12:10 PM
We have just starting this history and both ds and I love it.

I do have a question. We are using Volume 1 currently and I have not even looked at the other volumes, but I am wondering do you all own or plan to own any of the Encyclopedias that are for Cross-References and of the ones that are 'needed' for volume one, do you also 'need' any of them for the other volumes or do they refer to different books?

The reason I ask is that I have not been able to get my hands on any of them except for the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. I borrowed it from our library once and then I purchased one for $3 of $4 dollars.

TIA

Alice
09-20-2009, 01:21 PM
We have the Usborne World History Encyclopedia and the Kingfisher one. I went ahead and bought the Kingfisher one even though it's at a higher level because I'd heard excellent things about it and that it was going out of print (not sure if that's true). I thought of them as resources we'll use for many many years, so worth the cost upfront. I don't think you need them for SOTW, but ds likes reading the Usborne one a lot.

I'm pretty sure that the same encyclopedias are recommened for all 4 SOTW volumes.

Robin H in VA
09-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks Alice

I would love to purchase the others used, if I could get them. I have been watching e-bay and have found a few, but can't seem to get any of them.

I have been trying to find them on Vegsource also, but everytime I open their website a box pops up that states it is from my windows anti-virus protection program and that there are numerous viruses and spyware on my computer. I have ran my CA protection like 3 times this past week and there is nothing there. So I don't know what is going on with the site.

Sorry to get off topic, but I am trying to look other places to try to get these books beside e-bay. I like Amazon, but the is a bit much sometimes, at least IMO.

Suz MamaFrog
09-20-2009, 09:43 PM
We've been using the smaller Usborne encyclopedias - ancient Egypt, Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece, Medieval History, etc. I buy them from Rainbow Resource each year to accompany whichever volume of SOTW I'm ordering. Yeah, I'll spend more in the long run, but they are smaller, nicer than the full encyclopedia and from the edition of UEH we checked out from the library, seem to have more on each time period than it has. Could be the library's edition is an older one, and these are newer, revised editions or something, but it just seems like there is MORE covered, or covered more in depth, in the smaller individual period encyclopedias than the full version.

HTH!
Suz

Robin H in VA
09-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks Suz, I will check out these books on RR. I just had a small order from there, so I will place those on my Wish List for next time. :kiss:

JuliaT
09-21-2009, 01:50 PM
I have both of the encyclopedias but I don't really use them with SOTW. I think that if finances were an issue, you could get by with just using SOTW and the library for the extra book suggestions.

Laura W.
09-21-2009, 09:03 PM
We own the Usborne Book of World History. It is used with all 4 SOTW books. We also have a DK history encyclopedia, but I don't use it with young elementary children.

The Usborne encyclopedias are nice for younger elementary children, and they get to see pictures of what is being talked about in SOTW.

Another book I've enjoyed using is Time Travelers. It's very visual, but more limited, only covering Ancient Egypt, Ancient Rome, Vikings, and Middle Ages.

Blessings,

Laura