PDA

View Full Version : How do you use Teaching Textbooks?

Kelly in WI
09-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Do you use both the books and computer? Just the computer or just the books?

I saw it was recommended that the child figure out the problems in the book and then enter them into the computer. Seems like that would take quite a bit of extra time.

Heather P
09-20-2009, 04:38 PM
We are just using the computer right now. We got the books and I thought we would use them but my dd didn't like that they are the same things. I think we may use them once things get a little harder and she needs to figure out the problem but for now just the computer. We are doing TT5 right now.

I think if I were to order again I wouldn't order the workbooks and just the discs. :unsure: But ask me this time next year once we have gone through a full year and I'll be able to answer that better. :)

Robin(CA)
09-20-2009, 04:42 PM
We've only used it for a few weeks, but I like having the book because I can skim it and see exactly what he is doing and what problems he is assigned without getting on the computer.

I have ds working out his problems in a spiral notebook (if he can't do them in his head), then entering the answer on the computer.

Tricia O
09-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Do you use both the books and computer? Just the computer or just the books?

I saw it was recommended that the child figure out the problems in the book and then enter them into the computer. Seems like that would take quite a bit of extra time.

I do this and the reason I do it is so that I can see my daughter's work. However, sometimes I input the answers for her, and just get her to come and view or redo any she misses. :unsure:

Candace C
09-20-2009, 07:22 PM
I am looking to get TT as soon as my oldest is ready for that, soon very soon. (I'm itching to start it cause I hate teaching math.)

So - are you having your kids write down the problems on a notebook separate from the book? Is this so you can re-use the book with the next child?

So, if they write the problems down (do their work) on a separate notebook, do you NEED the TT book??

Candace C
09-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Ooh, I just noticed TT 3rd grade is coming out "late fall" of this year. I think I can hold out and just use 3 this year...instead of trying to bump her up just so she can use TT. :lol:

I'm really excited, I had thought it was going to be another year or two before the grade 3 came out!

Robin(CA)
09-20-2009, 08:20 PM
So, if they write the problems down (do their work) on a separate notebook, do you NEED the TT book??

You probably don't need it, but I like having it for the reason listed above. It lets me look at the entire year at a glance and see what he'll be studying in the coming week.

Plus, the set with the book only costs $20 more and it's free shipping (with or without the book) so I think it's well worth it.

Rebe
09-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Just FYI, once you get to Pre-Algebra, the format changes and you have to have the book. I actually like this a lot better, that my ds has to work out of the book and answer on paper. I have to grade it, but I prefer this to TT7 and below, which is 100% computer-based. (You still need the discs for all the answers and solutions in the upper levels, though.)