PDA

View Full Version : Grammar Workbook Recommendation for Perfect Paula Learning Type ... LONG

Negin
09-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Dd is a Perfect Paula to the t. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, Cathy Duffy (homeschool author and reviewer) describes 4 main learning styles. Not everyone fits into just 1 style.
PPs

Like things to be clearly structured, planned, and organized.
Are uncomfortable with creative activities that lack specific guidelines.
Like to follow a typical specific school curriculum and feel that they are accomplishing the same things as other children their age.
Prefer workbooks; consistent structure; routine; repetition and memorization; drill and review.
They don't like: creative activities such as role playing, dramatization, imaginative writing; changes in a planned schedule; constant changes in the curriculum.

We got this while we were in the U.S. http://www.amazon.com/Painless-Grammar-Rebecca-Elliott-Ph-D/dp/0764134361/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253525213&sr=8-1 - dd hates it. She likes workbook-ish type stuff and absolutely despises reading through a text and being taught or told stuff. She wants a workbook and the feeling of accomplishment that comes with that.

I'm looking for a grammar workbook that's hopefully easy to use and not too complicated for her and for myself.
I'm not particularly attached to having my dc learn all the details of grammar that, to me, will be of little use later in life - predicate doo-dah's, etc. I'm quite content for them to know the basics - nouns (types of nouns), adjectives, adverbs, proper punctuation, and so forth. In other words, I'm not looking for a very in-depth grammar program. She knows this already, but I think she needs more drill.

In Cathy Duffy's book 100 Tops Picks for a Homeschool Curriculum (a book that I'm really happy to have, BTW), she recommends these 2 (as well as some others) for PPs.
Easy Grammar
Winston Grammar
Now I'm not totally fixed on either of these. I'm open and willing to go with a fun workbook type program.
Do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

TIA.

ETA: We just started Wordsmith. If you have used this, was the amount of grammar in this sufficient? Perhaps this is all we need?

ETA: I just saw this series and am quite impressed. Have any of you tried these or seen these?
http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Grammar+Practice+5/040973/1253526509-1686875

AndreaD
09-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Have you looked at Growing with Grammar? We are enjoying it- and it's workbook based, not too complicated or expensive. My 10 yr old is quite independent with his grammar.

Heather P
09-21-2009, 09:33 AM
We have Analytical Grammar for this year and although we haven't started it I was really impressed by the mother and daughter we met who wrote it at a conference we attended. A friend I am bought it on the spot. And it's a workbook form!

Here is the link for you to check out....

http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/

Carol S
09-21-2009, 10:54 AM
I am probably about to purchase Analytical Grammar, and I think it would be great for a Perfect Paula. I am also taking a look at "Our Mother Tongue", but I think it may not be quite as complete as AG. It would be much more specifically Christian than AG, if that's a problem. Specifically Christian as in using material from the Bible for teaching purposes. I'm guessing that wouldn't really pose a problem for you, but don't know.

Then I started looking at Warriner's Grammar, because I remember using it some. It would sure set me back less than AG, but I would be on my own as far as assignments, and AG has everything laid out. That's a good thing, for sure.

Rod and Staff was working fine for us, but I did tire of teaching some of the same stuff every year. Enough on the nouns, already!! I decided to look for a more concise, efficient presentation, and these things in particular are attracting me.

carriejoy
09-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Negin, did you see the free grammar curriculum I linked to?
http://www.fiarhq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65550

It is formal. It is clear. It is leveled. It has lovely little drawings at the top but not a lot of "Clutter" on the.

Now, it is done by someone with a passion for grammar and explaining it well. I just printed off the first level (scroll down a ways, past all the bright yellow stuff). I like very much what I see. It is a word doc that you can save. If you decide to do it, consider printing 2 pages per sheet and increasing the font size. There is A LOT of white space on the pages.

It has all the answers and a "to the teacher" section too.

Laura F
09-21-2009, 09:05 PM
What about Daily Grams? It's a straightforward approach to grammar and meshes nicely with FIAR-style learning. Plus it's in a workbook! I'm planning to start it next year when dd begins 3rd grade. Here's a RR link (http://www.rainbowresource.com/search.php?sid=1253581448-464743).

Stacia
09-21-2009, 11:08 PM
I agree with Andrea. Check out Growing with Grammar (http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/). It fits exactly with what you are describing & would be a great fit for your perfect Paula.

:thumb:

Christy in NE
09-22-2009, 12:18 AM
My dd is a "perfect Paula."

After trying curriculum that *I* liked, we decided on Christian Light Education around 4th grade. We only used the math(after trying every.thing. else.), but I have read very good reviews on CLE. Their work is definitely advanced-we needed to purchase one level below her actual grade, and she ended up being way ahead of her schooled peers. The price is great,too.

Good luck!!:)

Negin
09-22-2009, 02:21 AM
Thank you ladies. :kiss:

Have you looked at Growing with Grammar? We are enjoying it- and it's workbook based, not too complicated or expensive. My 10 yr old is quite independent with his grammar.
Andrea, this is good to hear. GWG seems to have all the features that I want. :)

I really don't want to fork out a lot of $$ for our grammar program. As you ladies can probably tell, I'm not huge on teaching all the grammatical details and having our dc being bored to tears. This is not the way I was taught as a child growing up in Britain. I was taught with a slight Charlotte Mason/Ruth Beechick approach. Looking back, I really do appreciate that.
Here is what Ruth Beechick says about grammar:
If you tested any group of children to find who knows a lot of grammar and who knows only a little grammar, you would find that the grammar scores do not correlate with quality of writing. Children who know the most grammar are not necessarily better writers. The parts do no add up to the desired whole.
Grammar is not a way to good writing; it is a tool that good writers use to analyze writing, to justify doing something this way instead of that way, and so forth.

We have Analytical Grammar
Heather, I'm going to need to spend more time looking into this one. I have heard of this before, but have been hesitant, since it's more $$ than I would like to spend. :unsure:

I am probably about to purchase Analytical Grammar, and I think it would be great for a Perfect Paula.
Carol, you're not making this easy for me. :lol: Here, I am, ruling it out somewhat due to the cost, and now you tell me how it would be great for a Perfect Paula :lol:.

I am also taking a look at "Our Mother Tongue" ... It would be much more specifically Christian than AG, if that's a problem. Specifically Christian as in using material from the Bible for teaching purposes. I'm guessing that wouldn't really pose a problem for you, but don't know.
No, not a problem at all.

Negin, did you see the free grammar curriculum I linked to?
http://www.fiarhq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65550
It is formal. It is clear. It is leveled. It has lovely little drawings at the top but not a lot of "Clutter" on the.
Now, it is done by someone with a passion for grammar and explaining it well. I just printed off the first level (scroll down a ways, past all the bright yellow stuff). I like very much what I see. It is a word doc that you can save. If you decide to do it, consider printing 2 pages per sheet and increasing the font size. There is A LOT of white space on the pages.
It has all the answers and a "to the teacher" section too.
Carrie, thanks for this. :) I need to spend some time giving this one a good look. Free is always nice. ;)

What about Daily Grams? It's a straightforward approach to grammar and meshes nicely with FIAR-style learning. Plus it's in a workbook!
Laura, yes, I have heard of Daily Grams. Again, some of the features I really like. I think this is one of the ones that Cathy Duffy says are ideal for PPs.

My dd is a "perfect Paula."
After trying curriculum that *I* liked, we decided on Christian Light Education around 4th grade. We only used the math(after trying every.thing. else.), but I have read very good reviews on CLE. Their work is definitely advanced-we needed to purchase one level below her actual grade, and she ended up being way ahead of her schooled peers. The price is great,too.
Good luck!!:)
Marie, will look into this also.

Thanks again, everyone. :group: