PDA

View Full Version : Amanda Bennett Unit Studies

Suzanne in CA
09-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Please forgive me if these questions has been asked before, I just couldn't find them. And I am new to homeschooling.

If I choose to do a unit study for say Thanksgiving, is that all I would do for the 4 weeks she gives you or should I still be doing a FAIR book with it?

Would a unit study like this be beneficial to a 6 and 7 year old?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Suzanne

Candace C
09-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Suzanne, with AB studies you would not need to "row" a book along with it. In her studies, you are given a book list of books to read with the topic.

I have a few of her studies but they have been a little too "old" for my kiddos at this point. I think they are wonderful! But I have put them on the back burner for another 1-2 years.

There may be other ladies on the board who have used them with younger kids, maybe they will chime in too!

(of course, even if you do her T'giving study, you have to still at least read Cranberry Thanksgiving and maybe row it aside from the AB study - it is one of our favorites!) :clap:

Paige P
09-24-2009, 03:45 PM
I recently bought a couple of AB Unit Studies. I think they're WONDERFUL, BUT I think my dc would burn out with 4 weeks of the same study. JMO :unsure:

I don't know if you've rowed Cranberry Thanksgiving or not, but I highly recommend it :thumb: We've done all kinds of "fun" T-giving stuff over the years, and always include CT. I've downloaded stuff from www.enchantedlearning.com and have done puzzles, games, history stuff, mazes, etc. We've read T-giving books. I've done the Evan Moor Thanksgiving pocket book (or whatever it's called -- maybe it's Pilgrims? ).

At your dc's ages, I wouldn't spend 4 weeks on T-ving. Just my opinion......

Kendra AU
09-24-2009, 03:48 PM
I felt they were good, but too much for my kids. However, Evan Moor has a Thanksgiving History Pocket (http://www.evan-moor.com/Title.aspx?CurriculumID=7&SeriesID=64&TitleID=267&EmcID=266) that's really fun! :D

Suzanne in CA
09-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Thank you all for your opinions. I knew this was the place to go. We are scheduled to do Cranberry Thanksgiving but then I was worried that I was not doing enough for the holiday season. Now I know that I will be just fine with CT and adding some more stuff on my own.

Suzanne