View Full Version : chronological history as read aloud...

Susan in Kentucky
09-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I would like to start doing some history in a read aloud form - I would like for it to be "this is what was going on in the world and also was at this time in the Bible." Is there anything like this?

I have History for Little Pilgrims but it is more Bible stories with an, 'oh, by the way, this took place in modern day Syria' thrown in.

09-25-2009, 04:43 AM
Susan, either of these sites may help.

Don't know if they're exactly what you're looking for.

Kendra AU
09-25-2009, 07:28 AM
We tend to just read a good living book and add it to the timeline. We're usually doing BIble studies too and we add that to our timeline (all though we are quite behind) and we hang the timeline in the dinning room area. The kids now reference things to it.. like "When was ... compared to ..." ;)

Nancy Ann
09-28-2009, 04:43 PM
A timeline is a great idea this way you could use several books and resources. Also there is alot of history past the bible unless you want to get into church history.

Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer has four volumes and is a secular view of history written by a Christian woman. She wanted people to be able to add in their own religious materials and I greatly appreciate that.

A Child's History of the World by Virgil M Hillyer is a great book written in story form.

All Through the Ages by Christine Miller is a large compilation of living books for history sorted chronologically and by age. Great resource for reading living books chronologically.

Carol S
09-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Have you looked at Mystery of History? It came out after I was already using Story of the World, so I haven't used it myself, but it certainly seems to have been well received.

I actually combined SOTW with materials from Veritas Press. I ordered their history cards and the timeline song and we worked through that as we read through SOTW. I didn't do any extra assignments from the VP materials so as to not let it get burdensome. Just the songs and cards.

Susan in Kentucky
09-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks so much to all of you. Negin - those are great book lists!!!

I am checking out your ideas and will hopefully find something that fits my wants and needs.