PDA

View Full Version : miquon math

Rachel
09-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Does anyone here use Miquon Math?

Suz MamaFrog
09-25-2009, 09:56 AM
I tried Miquon with dd for K, as she was at that time a very hands-on learner. We hada rather bad experience with it. She could tell you what to do with the rods for each function/problem, but couldn't translate that into "paper" math. In other words, she knew how to put the 6 rod and the 4 rod together to get 10, but when asked what 4 + 6 was, she had NO idea. It was like she was dependent on the rods and was unable to make the connection that the rods represented numbers.

I've heard all sorts of wonderful reviews and success stories. In fact, that's why I purchased it. But for us, it just didn't work out. FWIW, dd still struggles with mathematical concepts. She has a very difficult time making the leap from concrete examples to abstract concepts. Ever know a kid who was better at word problems than number problems?? I've got one.....

HTH!

Blessings!
Suz

Melinda
09-25-2009, 11:50 AM
I've used it before and really liked it. I appreciate some of the ways it teaches concepts. I plan on using it with Micah whenever he's of age.

I had to stop using it because I just didn't have enough time to direct math. With three children to teach, I needed something a bit more structured. Horizons, and now Saxon, have fit that bill.

It's also a great supplement. Maybe I should consider pulling it out again...

CINDY LB OH
09-25-2009, 07:22 PM
I used Miquon with my 2 oldest and it worked great. I loved the program and they didn't have any problems switching to something else after we were done with it. They both went right into Making Math Meaningful Level 4 after completing Miquon.

For my ds I used something else because I thought he needed something more concrete, but this year I pulled it back out and am using it with him. It is going well.

Amee
09-26-2009, 08:54 AM
I used it with my son and I just started it with my daughter. Did you have any questions about it?

Jennifer K
10-02-2009, 10:25 PM
We used it for a couple of years. My son lasted about one month with it. My daughter really liked it...but I didn't :unsure: I am not all that great with math and needed more guidance then Miquon provided. While she was still using it I started my boys on Math U See. For a year I used MUS with the boys & saw how well it clicked with me...how well it clicked with my them..my older boy was actually able to master his math facts as where my daughter wasn't. So she was not happy but I switched her to MUS (she is fine with it now :)

Jennifer