PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Division

rachelmn
09-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Ok, so the girls have worked/working their way through long multiplication, and we are moving on to division. HOW do I teach it? We are just using some Kumon books to get us through this so we can start LOF.

They do well with basic division but I'm trying to come up with the easiest way to teach the long division. Like, 6894/32. I know when I was a kid I filled a page with all the multiples of 32 and then used that to answer the problem. Isn't their an easier way? :unsure:

I found this (http://www.doubledivision.org/), and it makes a lot of sense to me...but it gets more cumbersome with decimals introduced into the problem.

AND...I know I should be ashamed to even ask...but at one point do you let them use a calculator? :perplex: I want them to understand the basics of how math works and then I guess I don't really mind if they use a calculator? I certainly always had one with all my college classes...

HELP!!!:D;)

LindainOK
09-26-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm sorry, I missed what you asked. BJU teaches the child to round the divisor to a single digit + zeros. EX: 34 would be 30, while 36 would be 40. Then they proceed to choose the best quotient and then multiply.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for.

My students knew their multiplication, so we learned to count by 2s, 3, ....9s. Then I made a chart to hang in front of them ;).
The following was written vertically:

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape style="Z-INDEX: 251658240; POSITION: absolute; MARGIN-TOP: 0.65pt; WIDTH: 0px; HEIGHT: 15.85pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px" id=_x0000_s1026 type="#_x0000_t32" o:connectortype="straight"><v:stroke endarrow="block"></v:stroke></v:shape> say "How many times can you count by "?divisor?" to get to "dividend"?
x
-
C say "Is the subtr answer less than the divisor?"

↓ bring down next number
<v:shape style="Z-INDEX: 251658240; POSITION: absolute; MARGIN-TOP: -0.65pt; WIDTH: 0.05pt; HEIGHT: 16.5pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0.65pt" id=_x0000_s1026 type="#_x0000_t32" o:connectortype="straight"><v:stroke endarrow="block"></v:stroke></v:shape>

Robin(CA)
09-26-2009, 04:34 PM
No charts here. If they know their multiplication facts, division should be pretty easy. For the type of problem you listed above they just figure out how many times 32 goes into 68 by "guestimating." 30 goes into 60 twice, so put the 2 up top and then multiply it out and continue dividing.

The key is understanding that if you know 3 x4 =12 then you already know the answer to 12 divided by 4 has to be 3.

Is that what you're asking? :unsure:

rachelmn
09-26-2009, 04:37 PM
I guess I was just looking an easier way to guestomate!:perplex: I know how to do it, and I know how to tell them. I was just hoping that things have gotten easier/better since I grew/or am trying to grow ;) Up!:)

Kendall in GA
09-27-2009, 07:03 PM
AND...I know I should be ashamed to even ask...but at one point do you let them use a calculator?

I will not allow my dc to use a calculator until algebra, i.e. all arithmetic (including long division) will be done by hand.

...Just my preference! :)

Holly
09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
there's a really nice picture book called Remainder of One :thumb: