PDA

View Full Version : English From the Roots Up

Trudy
09-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Have any of you used this before?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0964321033/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Lindy
09-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi Trudy,

I have not personally used it but, my friend has and I know she really likes it. We were just discussing it recently. She was showing it to me and it looks great.

This year I am using Rummy Roots (like a card game) and that is working good for us. Had I money to spend though I would get English from the Roots up as the book really does seem to contain a lot of good, scripted teaching information but also not overly heavy. imho.

Melinda
09-27-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm currently using it with my girls. They (and I) love it! I make cards for each word--the author suggests that each student make their own cards--but for my family, one set is enough. Then my girls write the root word and its meaning in their notebook and then write sentences with select words using the root. So far it has worked great for us!

Joy in Alabama
09-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I've been using it for years. I have the kids make the cards, then give them a test every ten words or so. I use it for my junior-high-schoolers in place of spelling. The older kids still remember what they learned.....

Robin in Colorado
09-27-2009, 04:48 PM
We play around with it now and again. My kids are a bit too young now, but it is fun to play with; we'll get "seriouser" about it later.

Hollie in SC
09-27-2009, 08:04 PM
We bought the book and cards for this school year. We are working orally on them (no writing for my boys) and learn 3 new words each week. They love it. I am not using the book, but have read it. We have Rummy Roots and I plan to add that towards the end of the school year to use what they have learned.

Jo in PRC
09-27-2009, 11:39 PM
We love it. For some odd reason my spelling-phobic little girl finds it really helpful to know the roots.