PDA

View Full Version : What is after RME and Bob Books?

ClaireDevaux in SC
09-27-2009, 05:39 PM
We are on Lesson 50 of RME, but have read through all of the Bob books at least once. Where do we go after RME and Bob Books? Any suggestions?

Steph
09-27-2009, 07:26 PM
My boys just started reading regular beginner books.

The Beginner's Bible
Frog and Toad
Eric Carle books
Any of the step 1 science books.

Tricia O
09-27-2009, 10:34 PM
My kids loved the Biscuit books.

Our library has a series called Rookie Readers that are pretty easy.

Also, Margaret Hillert has a lot of books that are very easy for beginners.

HTH!

Cate
09-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Just progress from easy, regular books to harder regular books. Just spend time reading everyday and don't worry too much about what it is as long as it is good material and your child can have success with it yet be challenged with new words every now and then.

Marie
09-28-2009, 06:03 AM
We just went to the Easy Readers section of the library and started checking out books--many of them are in a series, which both boys loved. Some of our favorites:

Henry and Mudge
Toot and Puddle
Nate the Great
Rookie Readers

I had them read aloud to me a little every day.

Have fun!

Alicia
09-28-2009, 06:55 AM
Agreeing with others here......When my ds could read through each series of Bob Books easily, we progressed to Margaret Hillert books and easy readers at the library. Margaret Hillert books have all the new vocabulary words listed in the back of the books. We began with books with the least new vocabulary words, and progressed to books with the most vocabulary words. Then we moved to the easy-reader section. After we had checked out and ds had read all those, I began checking out easy picture books, that were classic books. I got suggestions from "Honey for a Child's Heart", "Books Children Love" by Elizabeth Wilson, "The Read-Aloud Handbook" by Jim Trelease, and from my favorite online source, http:// www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html Under the category "Primary", there are picture books, beginning readers, and easy readers. I checked out stacks of good picture books, and each day ds could choose one or two to read out loud to me, then choose a book or two for me to read aloud to him.

Heather W
09-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Just read!!

I have my kids read with me a lot whatever the books are. If the books are difficult, then we share the reading. Depending on how they are doing I will share by paragraph or just by page, but we read together.

The more they read, the better they get. The fluency will come.

Henry and Mudge
Poppleton
Clifford
Usborne Farmyard Tales
Usborne Bible stories

Carol S
09-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Agreeing that you pretty much just go to the library. But I also used Pathway Readers. They're pretty inexpensive and the kids really did enjoy them. Although you can get workbooks to go with them, we just read them like they were story books.

CINDY LB OH
09-28-2009, 08:44 AM
We like the Christian Liberty Nature Readers :thumb:

Sasha
09-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Just read!!

The more they read, the better they get. The fluency will come.

yep! If we hadn't found the Barnes and Noble summer reading program and I hadn't mistakenly thought the list of books to choose one free book from was actually the list of books he was suppose to read, I think we would still be muddling through our reading lesson everyday.

Now he is an awesome reader and it literally took only two books I never thought he would be ready for to increase his ability by leaps and bounds.

Kristina J
09-28-2009, 07:35 PM
I was just looking at the back of RME and Mrs. Bendt has a long list of great read alouds and books for your children to read. :thumb: I hope you can find some great ones to choose from!

Tricia O
09-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Agreeing that you pretty much just go to the library. But I also used Pathway Readers. They're pretty inexpensive and the kids really did enjoy them. Although you can get workbooks to go with them, we just read them like they were story books.

:crazy: I forgot all about the Pathway Readers, and we used them with both our girls. ;)