PDA

View Full Version : Cursive vs. Printing

CJ
09-27-2009, 07:59 PM
For the last 3 years, I've graded the SAT essays for a local university. I just wanted to share something interesting. I realized I had actually read a comment in an article on the topic of handwriting that mentioned this, but I have first hand evidence that it really is true.

Almost no one writes their essay in cursive. It's to the point that when I see cursive, it jumps out at me. I'm grading 13 essays and 1 is in cursive.

Isn't that interesting?

Gwen in Texas
09-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Oh, don't get me started! :lol:

Jeni
09-28-2009, 09:44 AM
I think it's definitely proof that what you start with is what you fall back on. ;) Very interesting.

My "normal" handwriting, when I'm not consciously trying to write in print or cursive, is a combination of print and cursive. Even within a single word, I will have a combination of print and cursive characters. It's neat and legible, I've always received compliments on how neat my handwriting is but do you ever come across essays where the author's handwriting is a mix of print and cursive? Which do you consider those to be? Print or cursive? Just curious. ;)

LillianD
09-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Do they still teach cursive in schools? It seems like I see so few kids writing in cursive! My daughter is learning it now, it seems like it's a lot easier for her to write in cursive.

Jeni
09-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Do they still teach cursive in schools? It seems like I see so few kids writing in cursive! My daughter is learning it now, it seems like it's a lot easier for her to write in cursive.

I've heard of schools that have dropped cursive instruction and I've heard of schools that now start with cursive in Kindergarten instead of printing so I don't think it's a universal thing. My oldest knows how to write in cursive but he chooses to print. If I tell him to write in cursive he will but I do have to tell him.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

CJ
09-28-2009, 08:36 PM
I have seen a few essays that are a mix of printing and cursive. (I do that, too, when it's a note just for me.) It usually seems like women doing that and not the men, but it's not a very high percentage of the essays. Maybe only 2%?

The main reason I've realized my kids need to know cursive is so that they can read it even if they end up not using it. My 11yo son is still strugging with reading my cursive. We use Italic Handwriting (Getty/Dubay). I've told them all that they have to do the handwriting books, but when they write, they can have their own style. As long as I and others can read what they've written.

Handwriting isn't too distracting in these essays. It's more people that incorrectly use there/they're/their, to/too and use words in their essay that they can't spell correctly. I'd say 75% of the essays have spelling errors.

Christy in NE
09-28-2009, 10:37 PM
I think it's definitely proof that what you start with is what you fall back on. ;) Very interesting.

My "normal" handwriting, when I'm not consciously trying to write in print or cursive, is a combination of print and cursive. Even within a single word, I will have a combination of print and cursive characters. It's neat and legible, I've always received compliments on how neat my handwriting is but do you ever come across essays where the author's handwriting is a mix of print and cursive? Which do you consider those to be? Print or cursive? Just curious. ;)

I do this,too! I've stopped fighting it, and just let it be.:cool: Good to know I'm not alone!:lol: