PDA

View Full Version : Math U See help (Gamma)

Oney
09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
The lesson is multiplying two double-digit factors and shows how to do this in regular notation and place value notation.

Why do they need to do both? In totally understand learning to add via place value notation but I'm am lost when it comes to multiplying via place value notation. I'm specifically looking at lesson 23 A.

Michelle Pfeifer
09-29-2009, 06:05 PM
We skipped that lesson as DS always got confused with the place value notation, even when adding. If they get the multiplying double digits without it, just move on.

Michelle

Shannon P
09-29-2009, 06:11 PM
IMHO, you can skip it. It's not worth dwelling on after the introduction of the idea, especially if it confuses them.

Multiple digit multiplication is a problem with many segments. Each digit of the first number has to be multiplied against each digit of the second number. Each digit has additional value derived from its place, which has to be accounted for. In regular notation, we multiply single digits and account for place value with placement of the answers. In place value notation, we multiply each digit with its place value attached.

I don't have Gamma at my fingertips so I'm replying blind. Let me know if I'm off in left field on this.:lol:

Oney
09-29-2009, 06:19 PM
:eyes: I think we'll move on and just skip the place value notation. I am really not good at teaching math. :no: My poor kids.

Robin(CA)
09-29-2009, 07:37 PM
lol, I let my kids skip it too -- it just seemed SO painful!:roflol:

molly in cr
09-29-2009, 11:30 PM
lol, I let my kids skip it too -- it just seemed SO painful!:roflol:

:lol: me too! I even found it confusing. They did do that lesson, just not the ones with place value notation.

Nedra
09-30-2009, 06:34 PM
I skipped that with all 3 of my older children and will skip it with my twins also.

:)

Lindy
09-30-2009, 06:45 PM
we skipped it too! :) Glad I'm in such good company!

Kim L
10-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Skipped it, I didn't get it at all.

Cheryl in SoCal
10-01-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm the odd one out. It helped my boys understand the concept. I think because WE weren't taught that way that it can be confusing at first but in the end helps with comprehension. We are just starting Algebra and so far there hasn't been anything Dr Demme has taught that my boys didn't understand. It probably helps that I have them watch the video with me instead of me trying to explain things to them second hand.

Rosanna
10-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Aaron just had some issues using PVN in Beta- but had him watch the video twice... I know he will have it down by tomorrow though (we are learning the 1,000 places) I will probably skip it later on- seems time consuming although I get why he does it that way.

Kendall in GA
10-03-2009, 07:29 AM
Another skipper here! :hi: (Btw, I really like MUS; but, I skip lots of stuff in it...If I don't see the point and my dc don't need it then we skip right on over it!) IMO, it is useful only if a student needs to get the concept of what he is multiplying and needs help understanding what he is doing. If you student doesn't need that then by all means skip it!