View Full Version : A little encouragement please!

Missy =D
09-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Our 5th grade dd has trouble with grammar. Tell me that it IS okay to go back and work with her in the 4th grade Rod and Staff grammar book.

Christi in VA
09-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Our 5th grade dd has trouble with grammar. Tell me that it IS okay to go back and work with her in the 4th grade Rod and Staff grammar book.

My 4th grade daughter is doing well with the 3rd grade Rod and Staff grammar book. If you look up the table of contents for both grades, it might put you at ease. www.rodandstaffbooks.com

09-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Sure. It's more than my 5th grader is doing. ;) (We aren't doing grammar until they get older.)

09-30-2009, 03:27 PM
I think that is fine. I try not to use too many labels. We are not doing formal grammar either.

09-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Well, since I don't start formal grammar until 7th grade, sure! Relax! Go back if needed. :D

Did that help? ;)

Robin in Colorado
09-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Missy, go back if you want to.

I was just recalling to DH that we didn't even start grammar until 5th grade when I was in school, and most of us didn't begin to get it until 7th or 8. As a former middle school language arts teacher, I can attest that some of the concepts of parts of speech are like math, and require a certain physical maturity.

Right now, the Big Girls are 4th and 6th grade. Although I luv grammar, we are only going over it once a week, for 15 minutes.

Call me a rebel, but I'll wait until about 8th grade before I begin to teach grammar and writing. Meanwhile, we're laying a good foundation by reading lots of good literature, including poetry.

Missy =D
09-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Breathing a huge sigh of relief. Thank you! Now that you mention it...I don't think that I started formal grammar until 5th grade myself. The schools push the kids so early these days. I try not to compare but it can lead to a little panic every now and then.

Christy in NE
09-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Hello! :hi:

Just to put your mind at ease....

I hsed our dd from preschool-5th grade. Her last year of hsing was fifth grade, and she used Rod & Staff grade five-though we only got through half of it. When she entered our PS system(which is highly acclaimed) she was a good two years ahead with her grammar. She is in the highest level "gifted" classes, and is repeating concepts she learned a few years ago. Seriously.

FYI- I had used First Language Lesson's with her for second grade, then switched to Rod & Staff. She truly remembered almost zero from anything before her last year. The way I am aprroaching English with our ds is much different, as I am not introducing grammar concepts beyond basic capitalization and punctuation, until he is in at least 4th grade.

For what it's worth, a good friend looked at Rod & Staff, and said it was *very* advanced for the *assigned* grade level.;)