PDA

View Full Version : Quarter Mile math...

Shannon F.
10-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Does anyone use this for additional math practice? Do your kids like it? Do your kids get bored of the race format? I'm thinking my son would love a video game type thing to help work on math facts, but I wasn't sure if he'd get bored with just race after race.

Heather W
10-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Shannon here's a review (http://blogshewrote.blogspot.com/2009/08/tos-review-quartermile-math.html) I did for the TOS Crew.

I think my kids would tire of it and the graphics STINK. But other than that it's decent if you are really looking for something.

Jeni
10-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Can I tell you something? Quarter Mile Math has been around since I was in elementary school in the 80s. It hasn't changed much since then. :crazy:

If you have a kid you likes to beat his own best time at things, he would probably enjoy it. We have it, we have used it from time to time but it's not a favorite around here. Probably not the kind of facts practice you are looking for but Timez Attack is much more well liked around here than QMM. I wish they made an addition/subtraction and division version of Timez Attack. :unsure:

Melissa Crabtree
10-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Jacob seems to be liking it around here, though we haven't played it too many times in the weeks since I bought it. We left town 3 days later. But my aunt has it for her kids and has sworn by it for years!

Heather W
10-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Can I tell you something? Quarter Mile Math has been around since I was in elementary school in the 80s. It hasn't changed much since then. :crazy:

If you have a kid you likes to beat his own best time at things, he would probably enjoy it. We have it, we have used it from time to time but it's not a favorite around here. Probably not the kind of facts practice you are looking for but Timez Attack is much more well liked around here than QMM. I wish they made an addition/subtraction and division version of Timez Attack. :unsure:

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol: That totally explains the graphics!!!!!!

Hope
10-01-2009, 11:30 AM
I use it everyday with my kids and they don't complain. I like it because I can set it up for them and walk away. I also like the fact that it isn't exclusively for practicing say, addition, or multiplication. It has all the operations and I can use it with the various levels of my children.

My ds is very competitive and likes to try to beat his previous times. He really gets annoyed when he comes in second place or worse. Dd isn't competitive; she is very relaxed about the whole thing. QMM has really helped her learn her math facts.

I do have one complaint about Quarter Mile Math: It's expensive. :unsure: It was hard for me to shell out that kind of money.

Robin(CA)
10-01-2009, 01:05 PM
We own it. It doesn't get used very much because I bought it way back when ds1 was doing addition/subtraction (about 4 years ago). Well it turned out that he was one of those kids who would freeze because of the pressure of the "race." :lol: That and our computer would freeze up a lot while we were using it and I got sick of having to restart it (I'm sure that was a problem with our computer).

It was expensive back then ($40 I think?), but I was looking at Heather's post and it's even more pricey now! And it looks like you have to pay for the software and then pay a per month subscription fee on top of that? That wouldn't be worth it to me. ETA: I see that's for the deluxe version.

I agree with the pp who wishes Times Attack would come out with one for addition and subtraction facts.

Kendra AU
10-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Well, for a cheaper way of practicing math fact, we do Joey-Joey (http://aussiepumpkinpatch.blogspot.com/2009/08/joey-joey-math-game.html) with ONE math family in it. We do them for ONE full week. At the end of each session they have a math fact paper or some sort (my eldest especially loves this) which I make up using this website (http://themathworksheetsite.com/). At the very end of the week, if they want, I time them. To see how quickly they can do those facts.

Before playing Joey Joey we talk about the math family and the clues and codes to solving that family's problems. For instance, we talked about that adding +1 is just like counting. Find the biggest number and move forward one. Adding +9 you'll find the smallest number, go back one and add teen. There's usually some pattern for each family. ;)

As for video game, I saw a few of the reviews about QMM when it was reviewed a while back, most of them differed from each other. I figured it was something my kids would like, but I wasn't up for the money part. Instead we have a variety of leapster, reader rabbit, and other games that have math practice on them. ;)

Rebe
10-01-2009, 09:24 PM
I bought QMM, and sold it a year or two later. Neither of my two older dc liked it. My ds, in particular, was very frustrated by the time limit and he'd freeze and be unable to do any problems at all. Plus, my dc couldn't touch-type with the number pad and they'd lose seconds just looking for the right keys.

It has a high resale value, though. ;)

Shannon F.
10-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. Based on your thoughts, I think he woun't like it. He loves playing his ds, so it sounds like the graphics of this game would turn him off right away. Have any of you seen the educational games for the ds?

Negin
10-03-2009, 02:50 AM
Neither of our children liked it. Complete waste of $$ for us.