PDA

View Full Version : Noun or verb or adjective?

Heather W
10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
E11 here with a question:

This is my sentence.
Chica wasn't cuddly, but she was a good listener.

Is listener in this case a noun or an adjective?

I think it is a adjective because it describes Chica. My mom thinks it is a noun because it is a person.

What do you think?:unsure:

Melinda
10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
noun

good is the adj that describes listener--a person.

Sue in MN
10-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Yes, it is a noun functioning as a predicate nominative.

Tracey
10-01-2009, 12:39 PM
I will go with noun.

Cheryl in SoCal
10-01-2009, 12:39 PM
If you want to get technical it's a predicate noun.

- a predicate noun is a noun or pronoun after the verb that means the same thing as the subject.
- to find the predicate noun, ask "what" or "who" after the verb.
- a predicate noun is often called a predicate nominative.
- a predicate noun is always after a linking verb.
- a linking verb links or connects the subject to a predicate noun or a predicate pronoun.

Cheryl in SoCal
10-01-2009, 12:45 PM
E11 here with a question:

This is my sentence.
Chica wasn't cuddly, but she was a good listener.

Is listener in this case a noun or an adjective?

I think it is a adjective because it describes Chica. My mom thinks it is a noun because it is a person.

What do you think?:unsure:

I think you are getting confused because you have a compound sentence but are treating it as though it has one subject. Your 2 sentences are:

Chica wasn't cuddly.
and
She was a good listener.

Each stands alone, having their own subject/verb/etc even though they are connected with a conjunction (, but). You need to work with "She was a good listener," by itself. She - subject pronoun, was - linking verb, a - article adjective, good - adjective and listener - predicate noun.

Amy ~Texas
10-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Your mom is right. ;) To be more specific, it is a predicate nominative.

Amy ~Texas
10-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Oops! Must have been posting at the same time as Cheryl! :)

Heather W
10-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks ladies! E11 concedes to defeat on this one.;)

When we were discussing it I said, "Should we ask the FIAR ladies?" He got on and posted.:lol:

Robin in Colorado
10-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Yes, it is a noun functioning as a predicate nominative.

:yes: Absolutely.

Remember, a noun is a person, place, thing, or idea. "Listener" is a person in this sentence, although it could be a thing.

An adjective would have to directly describe the noun. So, in this sentence, "good" is the adjective and it describes "listener."

E11, in the beginning of grammar, we learn that there are eight parts of speech. These are roles played by a word, just like an actor in a play. An actor might play different roles, or a role might be played by different actors. So, to determine the what 'part' of speech it is, we look at the role it plays.

Most of the time this is pretty straightforward.

However, you are at the age where grammar becomes more challenging - and therefore more exciting. Why? Because now you are working with more complex sentences, where entire groups of words might function as a single part of speech, with each individual word still playing one of the eight original roles.

It is your job as the grammar detective to solve the mystery. There are clues, but you must put them together. It's a wonderful adventure!