PDA

View Full Version : Dinah Zike books?

Cheryl in SoCal
10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
A couple of months ago I bought The Ultimate Lapbook Handbook and it mentioned getting 2 of her books (Big Book of Books and Big Book of Projects), so I did;):lol: They teach you how to make all the foldables/etc that go in lapbooks and give you lots of ideas. Her books aren't about lapbooks (she has children make the foldables/etc by themselves but they are what you put into lapbooks so even though they aren't specifically FOR lapbooks they are a great resource. In addition to the "general" books she also has books that are specific and cover subjects like math, history and science (each subject has a book for elementary and middle school/high school) that give you all sorts of ideas for that subject, divided/listed in categories in the table of contents to easily find what you are studying. They might not be exciting to those of you who are experienced with lapbooks or are super creative but they are SO HELPFUL for me, a lapbook novice.

Anyway, if anyone else uses them and has any tips/tricks/etc they'd like to share I'd love to hear them! I also wanted to share in case there are other lapbooks who are brilliant but too tired to think up things all on their own;):lol:

carriejoy
10-06-2009, 10:19 PM
BIG FAN of the components available on Homeschool Share! I love that I don't have to even imagine what to do with the component. Periodically I make one to share, but usually, it is just nice that it is all done for me! :)

Heather W
10-07-2009, 07:33 AM
I like them a lot! I also like the subject area books that she has- science and social studies come to mind. I'd love to get the math one at some point.

I like how I can make them the size I want instead of itty bitty. I like the lapbook components, but I like to customize them and put them in a format that is more manageable for those with unrefined fine motor skills. A reason I do not enjoy much of what is at HSS.

Cheryl in SoCal
10-07-2009, 10:03 AM
I have the math books, SO GREAT to use with MOTL. They are great with any math program but they really lend themselves to working with a math program that doesn't use a workbook (lapbook instead of workbook) or if you are going through early elementary math on your own. My older boys are (well, older:lol:) and use "regular" math program (MUS) but we're going to be making "formula" lapbooks to keep all the math formulas in one spot:) I just ordered the social studies and science ones too, I'm glad to hear they are great too:)

Speaking of science and lapbooks, did you all know that there is a company (I think it's Knowledge Box but I'm too lazy to look it up:lol:) that makes lap books/journals (you get both to choose from) for the Jr HS/HS Apologia text books? We got the one for Biology this year and I'm loving it! So far we've been using the journal part but you can switch back and forth between modules so I think the next module we'll try the lapbook part and see what my older kids think. I got it at Rainbow Resource.
http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Exploring+Creation+with+Biology+2nd+Edition+Lapboo k+Journal+CD-ROM/045806/1254927703-1928375

Heather W
10-07-2009, 11:25 AM
ooohhh. I'm envious! We are using MOTL so maybe I need to put that at the top of my list to acquire soon.:)

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Cheryl in SoCal
10-07-2009, 02:20 PM
ooohhh. I'm envious! We are using MOTL so maybe I need to put that at the top of my list to acquire soon.:)

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Rainbow Resource carries them, in case you're looking for something to fill your cart;)

You're welcome, I'm always happy to spend other people's money;):lol: I learn so much from you all and love it when I can return the favor!:)

Kendra AU
10-11-2009, 02:05 AM
I purchased Big Book Of Books, but wasn't impressed. Yes, it's loaded with ideas, but nothing I hadn't seen for free in my various travels on the internet. So, I was kinda bummed by that. I felt it was a needless way to spend 20 bucks (plus shipping). I've not investigated the rest of her books considering the fact that shipping this far is too much to bother with. ;)

Lisa Schafer
10-11-2009, 05:39 AM
I have been using DZ's books for years. ;) I like the books she has on specific topics b/c of the templates you can copy. :thumb: But, if you're on a budget, you can certainly get by with using the BBOB and BBOP. :yes:

Love them! :kiss: