PDA

View Full Version : Horizons K Math

Julie in FL
10-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Has anyone used Horizons K Math?

If so what are your likes/dislikes?

rachelmn
10-06-2009, 06:19 PM
I used it last year. I didn't like it for us. It didn't get the addition down as much as I would like for the speed at which they moved the student. I always thought I liked the spiral approach but with the girls older and not having everything down as much as I would liked, I have moved Maggie to a more mastery program (Rod and Staff, and we are LOVING it!).

deanna1949
10-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I like Horizons a lot. DGD started in K Book 2 as she had the basics already. She's a 2nd grader now and is starting Math 3. We tried Teaching Textbooks 4 this fall, but even though she loves computers and computer lessons, she didn't like TT, so we're back at Horizons, which she really does like.

It moves fast though, and I occasionally will supplement for review. The teacher's book and the extra worksheets are well worth the additional expense.

KristenS
10-06-2009, 08:05 PM
So far so good for us. Ted is on Horizons 3, and Maddy is in Horizons K. Occasionally we cut out extra review (the problem if a kid works ahead of grade level, the writing spaces get really small and it's too much to ask, motor skills-wise. But that's true of any program). Anyway, since it's colorful and spiral, it tends to keep the kids' interest. Feel free to cut out too much repetition, or supplement to reinforce with stuff from the teacher's guide ... same as you would with any program.

Melinda
10-06-2009, 09:56 PM
I used Horizons K, book 1 for the second half of K. Then went right into Horizons 1, Book 1 for first grade (so basically we skipped book 2 of K). We just switched to Saxon for various reasons, but I really, really liked Horizons when we used it for K-3rd grade. :thumb:

Yes, we skipped lots of the repetition and my kids received an excellent foundation for their current math. I'm very pleased with what my kids learned and how they learned.

FWIW, I switched to Horizons after using Rod and Staff and MathUSee. I appreciated the traditional approach to math because I didn't have time to relearn math so that I could teach it. Rod and Staff is a great basic program, too; it just moved to slowly for my eager student.

Laura F
10-06-2009, 11:23 PM
We started with MUS Primer for K math and flew through the lessons. We switched when dd was about 3/4 of the way through because she was no longer enjoying math in black & white. She's an artist & needs color. I picked up the 2nd book for K, and it was a big hit. But it does move fast! Dd loves the color illustrations, and I like the spiral approach to math. She's now using Horizons 2, and I've backed off using the extra math drills and worksheets but I'm still quite happy with the program.

YoLanda
10-07-2009, 01:21 AM
We tried K and it just didn't work for us either. I thought the spiral approach would be the ticket for us but I guess not. We are using Math U See now and I really like the way it teaches the basics. Dd was just not getting some things so MUS is working so much better.

Heather W
10-07-2009, 08:31 AM
I have used Horizons all the way through grade 6. I've used K twice (the oldest was past K when we began).

I like Horizons because it is cheap, thorough and visually pleasing.

I have now moved away from Horizons and I use Math on the Level/Living Math.

What I did find about Horizons was that it is way too easy to just end up giving the kids the workbook page and leaving it at that. As time wore on doing that, it got more and more difficult for the kids to enjoy the math.

For a $10 workbook it doesn't hurt to try it out. then you can really decide.

Julie in FL
10-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone for their advice. We are using Saxon right now and I was thinking of supplementing with Horizons, but I'm not sure if that's a good choice since both programs are spiral. We are enjoying the spiral approach that's why I was considering Horizons as a supplement. I think my dd would enjoy the colorful workbooks because Saxon has b&w workbooks, but that's not a reason to use it..:lol:
Have any of you used Horizon as a supplement?

Tricia O
10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Horizons is very in-depth & with many math problems. I've not used K but I have used 1 & 2, and would definitely not recommend it as a supplement. :no: In fact, we are having to cross out about half the problems every day now, as it is so repetitive and with too many math problems. After Horizons 2, we moved our oldest daughter to Teaching Textbooks 4 & plan to do the same with our second daughter.

Melinda
10-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone for their advice. We are using Saxon right now and I was thinking of supplementing with Horizons, but I'm not sure if that's a good choice since both programs are spiral. We are enjoying the spiral approach that's why I was considering Horizons as a supplement. I think my dd would enjoy the colorful workbooks because Saxon has b&w workbooks, but that's not a reason to use it..:lol:
Have any of you used Horizon as a supplement?

Horizons isn't supplement material, it's definitely a core program. It also moves faster than Saxon. I switched my 3rd graders to Saxon this year because they are so distractable that I need something plain and basic for their math. They finished up Horizons 2 and have yet to learn anything new in the first half of Saxon 3. (My oldest dd went from Horizons 3 straight into Saxon 6/5, so I'd say that Horizons is a bit advanced.)

All that to say, it would be hard to supplement with Horizons as the scope and sequence doesn't line up side-by-side.

That said...if you stay with Saxon, which I think is a wonderful program BTW, maybe you could let your dd record her answers with colored pencils. If the B&W is bothering her, let her spruce up her pages with some color.

Julie in FL
10-07-2009, 12:16 PM
The colored pencils are a GREAT idea!! We LOVE Saxon. I just keep reading where everyone supplements their math, so I guess I feel the need to supplement.

Heather W
10-07-2009, 12:23 PM
The colored pencils are a GREAT idea!! We LOVE Saxon. I just keep reading where everyone supplements their math, so I guess I feel the need to supplement.

Saxon is so similar to Horizons. I'm not sure why either would be supplemented. Another difference is that Saxon is scripted for the teacher while Horizons is not.

I'm not sure why anyone would supplement math just choose new math! Also, for K unless you are supplementing with games and real life math I'm not sure I see the point.;)

rachelmn
10-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Agreeing with others in that I don't see a need to supplement math. If you love what you are doing, I'd stick with it!:)

Julie in FL
10-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks Heather and Rachel....This is all new to me!! :)

I love this forum!! You guys ARE THE BEST!!!

BTW Heather..I love your blog...I've got some really great ideas from you!! :lol:

Melinda
10-07-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would supplement math just choose new math! Also, for K unless you are supplementing with games and real life math I'm not sure I see the point.;)

I'm sure you're doing a great job with your dd. Being a 4yo, she's probably enjoying exploring the math concepts introduced in Saxon.

If you'd like to do more hands-on types of games or real-life learning, why not try grocery cart math (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=892513)? I blogged (http://eagereyesofblue.blogspot.com/2008/04/grocery-cart-math-aka-its-time-to-do.html) about one of our trips to the store and how much my dc enjoy this sort of learning.

Also, Games for Math (http://www.amazon.com/Games-Math-Peggy-Kaye/dp/0394755103)by Peggy Kaye might give you some great ideas for some extras you can do with your dd to reinforce what you're already covering.

Julie in FL
10-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks Melinda....She does like the manipulatives A LOT!! I'll check out grocery cart math

deanna1949
10-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't use Horizons as a supplement. That would be like supplementing your dinner with a BigMac, fries, and a large coke! Way too much!!

The only "supplement" I used with Horizons was the additional worksheets that you can get for review. Sometimes we just needed to revisit some basic facts before we moved on. And I doubt if I used even half of the ones provided.

Angel
10-13-2009, 01:32 PM
If you use Horizons K, do you need the TM or just the student books?

Heather W
10-13-2009, 01:53 PM
If you use Horizons K, do you need the TM or just the student books?

Student books are fine, BUT you get handwriting sheets for numbers and other practice sheets too. I think it's at least worth getting the worksheet packet which Rainbow Resource sells for about $5. I have it and I use it a lot for early writers.

Angel
10-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Student books are fine, BUT you get handwriting sheets for numbers and other practice sheets too. I think it's at least worth getting the worksheet packet which Rainbow Resource sells for about $5. I have it and I use it a lot for early writers.

That sounds good. I can do without instructions in the TM though? Are the workbook instructions enough to go by?