PDA

View Full Version : math question for K

Mary D
10-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Any fun ideas for helping my 5 year old son learn his numbers? We use Math U See and he has writing 0-10 down pat and he knows how to count to 30 but cannot seem to grasp writing his numbers above 10. I have thought about displaying all numbers on a board in our school room but worried he may become reliant on that and not actually learn them.

Susan A
10-08-2009, 11:43 AM
We also use MUS. My 7 y/o dd is using Alpha and is just now catching onto to recognizing and writing the numbers above 10. Relax. Go ahead and put the numbers up around the room so he'll be familiar with them. :hi:

Holly S
10-08-2009, 11:45 AM
My DS is a huge perfectionist and wants to see numbers written out before he writes them. He's so worried he'll write them backwards. I let him see them...I figure they have number lines in public schools, and he won't still be using a number line when he's an adult. :lol:

CINDY LB OH
10-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Your ds is still very young, so go ahead and display the numebers. Do lots of counting and games with numbers also.

I make a giant 100 chart out of a sheet of poster board and keep that on the wall. It worked great for my ds when he was learning his numbers. Lots of exposure is a good thing.

Michelle B.
10-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Make a calendar:) Give them a hundrend's number chart to play with...

Skip counting by 10's seemed to help my kids "get" the next number.