PDA

View Full Version : Help for mixing up letters

Michelle Dawn
10-09-2009, 07:27 PM
My daughter has learned all of her letter sounds and is great at blending them into words. But she is still having trouble mixing up the b's and d's. When she is looking at the letter alone and I ask her what it is, she almost always knows. But when it is in a word she gets confused. She has also started making 3's, c's, and a's backwards, which she diddnt used to do.

What do you do to help them keep it all straight? I have started having her make letters with play-doh, and I have been having her do a lot of reading and finding the letters in word searches. Maybe she just needs more practice.

LindainOK
10-09-2009, 11:21 PM
When she comes to a word that begins with "b" or "d", ask her "Is the Line or the circle first"? Show her: B has a line first--position your lips to say B and drag your finger across your closed lips. D has a circle first--with your finger follow the circle your mouth makes (lips are slightly open).

All children reverse some letters at some time as they develop their reading. Usually, with practice writing, it resolves.

CJ
10-10-2009, 03:16 AM
I always remind my kids that "bed" makes a little bed. The b is first - which you can hear when you say "buh" and then comes the "duh" to finish the foot of the bed. Sleeping on a "deb" just looks less comfortable than a "bed".
:D

AndreaD
10-10-2009, 02:40 PM
When my kids got b and d mixed up I told them b is a bat them a ball (a line- the bat, then the ball) and d is a doorknob then a door. Yup- probably just needs more practice. Don't worry.

Dawn Gilmore
10-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I always remind my kids that "bed" makes a little bed. The b is first - which you can hear when you say "buh" and then comes the "duh" to finish the foot of the bed. Sleeping on a "deb" just looks less comfortable than a "bed".
:D

Yep, this is what I've done with all my kids. I have them hold their hands like a b and a d, and put them together, so they can "see" the bed. Then, when they get it confused in their reading, I simply remind them to "check their bed." I think ALL FOUR of my kids did this at some point, when they were learning to read.

Di in NJ
10-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Ooo, I like the finger play. We're going through that right now, too. (And I remember being so excited when he picked up b & d right away, thinking that I dodged that bullet. Sigh.)

I'll definitely try that out for our next phonics game.

KathleenM
10-12-2009, 10:24 AM
We have also done the "bed" finger play. :)

My son has dyslexia, and I think we have finally licked this particular problem! :perplex:

Check out this book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1430328037/ref=s9_wishf_gw_t?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1O6VLKBEK1K9U&colid=1PD4GNFZ53Y4P&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-csm-1&pf_rd_r=04HV6D06EJS2PBSZWS9W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=494010391&pf_rd_i=507846) on Amazon. No... I'm not saying that you have a dyslexic child. Just click on the "search inside this book" link in the upper left under the image of the book. Go to page 13 in the book for another idea to help this problem. :) I never bought the book, so I can't speak for it otherwise, but I loved finding this idea!