PDA

View Full Version : Mathusee Primer

Marsha
10-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Did you use the DVD and teachers guide or just get the workbook?

Robin(CA)
10-09-2009, 10:25 PM
If you have never used the Math U See program, you need the DVD/Teacher's manual. I'm not usually big on manuals, but in this case that's where all the info is that makes Math U See special. Without it, it's like using a regular math workbook that you would buy at Walmart.

If you already know how to teach decimal street, the technique for adding 8s, 9s, etc (If you've already taught Alpha you would have this info already from the Alpha DVD) then you don't need it. Does that make sense?

Laurie Dawn
10-09-2009, 10:45 PM
The dvd made my youngsters feel big and important just like thier older siblings when they started MUS.:cool: BUT you could get by without it.

Cheryl in SoCal
10-11-2009, 12:09 PM
If you have never used the Math U See program, you need the DVD/Teacher's manual. I'm not usually big on manuals, but in this case that's where all the info is that makes Math U See special. Without it, it's like using a regular math workbook that you would buy at Walmart.

If you already know how to teach decimal street, the technique for adding 8s, 9s, etc (If you've already taught Alpha you would have this info already from the Alpha DVD) then you don't need it. Does that make sense?

ITA :yes:

That being said, even though I used MUS with my older boys from Alpha through Algebra (they're currently in Algebra) I still use the DVD with my dd. I'm actually using MOTL with her but use my MUS DVD's as one of my resources because I find the way Dr Demme teaches so valuable and she LOVES watching the DVD's. I've also been using the workbook instead of 5-a-days because she is all about workbooks right now and will sometimes do 6 pages/day because she wants to:eek: If my older boys were her age they wouldn't be doing that;):lol:

Lisa in Ohio
10-11-2009, 07:07 PM
We're doing MUS Primer now and my daughter LOVES the DVD. She goes on and on about how it's for big kids and tells her Daddy about it all the time. The other night she asked if we could put it on so Daddy could learn math too.

Robin H in VA
10-11-2009, 07:19 PM
My ds uses the DVD more than I do. The DVD makes more sense to him than just me using the manual. :unsure: Even though I am teaching the same thing that the DVD teaches, he still understand the DVD better. I hope that makes sense to you, because typing it out just looks funny. :lol:

elizawill
10-12-2009, 06:19 PM
imo, you could do without the dvd for the primer level and still get by successfully. the MUS manipulatives and student book would be enough.

Cheryl in SoCal
10-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Another thought; since there is so much overlap between Primer and Alpha you could use the Alpha DVD (if you have it already, can borrow it or are going to get it for next year) with Primer where the Scope & Sequences match.

Christi in VA
10-12-2009, 08:17 PM
I am rarely using it with ds#2. Honestly, I've used it twice, mostly b/c he feels like the big kids when he gets to do his lesson on DVD just like them.