PDA

View Full Version : Another Life of fred question - WWYD?

molly in cr
10-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Once we finish Beginning Algebra, should we move directly to Advanced Algebra or Geometry?

This is for a child that has s-t-r-u-g-g-l-e-d with Algebra but finally seems to be getting it.

WendyW
10-10-2009, 01:15 AM
The traditional order is Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2.

The author of Fred recommends Beginning Algebra, Advanced Algebra, then Geometry.

The traditional order is to ensure that kids get exposed to geometry before taking the PSAT and other standardized tests. Fred's recommendation is so they don't forget the Algebra in the long wait between levels.

Rachel Jane
10-10-2009, 06:34 AM
I have one doing beginning algebra then advanced algebra and the other doing beginning algebra then geometry.

In your situation, I'd go on with advanced algebra before geometry. :)

molly in cr
10-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks. I was leaning towards Advanced Algebra next. I actually just bought both AA and Geo. because Rainbow had some scratch and dent books discounted.

I was wondering - I looked around the website and didn't see the answer - is Advanced Algebra supposed to be Algebra 2? Or did they just divide Algebra 1 into two segments?

ETA: I'm thinking it is Algebra 2, but I read that they could each be completed in half a year which still leaves me wondering.

Rachel Jane
10-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Molly, I would think so by the way SS states that it is all the math they need before college. :)

molly in cr
10-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks!