PDA

View Full Version : Joyce Herzog books?

Leslie Nelsen
10-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Anyone used any of these? If so, can you share? Just wondering if the learning without labels might be helpful.

Also, Luke's Life List? Anyone seen this? Again, it sounds interesting. :)

Hollie in SC
10-11-2009, 06:05 AM
:lol: because I was looking at that site a few days ago and had similar questions. :)

debbie in ak
10-11-2009, 11:16 AM
You know, I don't have any of her books, but I did get to meet her at a homeschool curriculum fair and go to some of her workshops. They were awesome! I am assuming the books would be the same.

Alice R
10-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I heard her speak a few years back. Now, I do not have a special needs child so you have to take that into consideration. I'm listening from a different point of view with a different background.

She was just OK. I didn't come out of her session with any information. I will PM you with some thoughts.

I have Luke's List and I've never used it once. Again, I don't have a special needs child but I was hoping to use it with my caseload etc. :no:

Hollie or Leslie? Do you want mine? I'll never use it and it's just sitting around.

Hollie, send me your address again. I accidentally deleted all of my PMs and your address was in there.

I have to find the book. I'll mail it from work. ;) I'll send it to either one of you and you can pass it on to the other.

Hollie in SC
10-11-2009, 11:47 AM
I'll send it to either one of you and you can pass it on to the other.

Your offer is sweet and generous. :kiss: Send it on to Leslie first. :) We get together sometimes and I can see it when I see her.:group:

Robin in Colorado
10-11-2009, 03:35 PM
I have "Learning Without Labels" and re-read it often. I also have a couple of other books of hers. They are huge for me.

I don't have Luke's Life List; I looked at it once and it was overwhelming for me at that time.

We use her Scaredy Cat reading program and find it quite valuable.

If there are any specific questions I can answer about the books or SC reading, please let me know.

Robin in Colorado
10-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Just to add... if you're thinking of ordering from her site, you should include "Timeless Teaching Tips" in your order. It's worth it.

Lindy
10-11-2009, 04:16 PM
I was able to hear her several years ago at a conference. She was eye opening to me! Great information. I thought she was excellent in her information and approach to learning.

I do have Academic Hints by her. Which is basically a book of emails and her answers put into book form. It is chaptered out and I found it really helpful. They didn't have a lot of time for really good editing so if you can get past some of that... I refer to it now and again. Very helpful.

I also have Choosing and Using Curriculum which was very helpful as well. However, now that I am "older" in my home schooling I don't refer to it much.

I feel her philosophy of education falls in line very well with the FIAR style. She's very positive and encouraging. Both to teacher and particularly the student.

Leslie Nelsen
10-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Thank you all so much for your feedback! All of it was helpful! :group:

Alice - I would love to see the book -and to share it with Hollie. :)

Robin - I would love any insigh on Learning without Labels. What is helpful? For what type of child? Why are you referring to it? Just trying to figure out where to go to help my children and am confused! I appreciate the feedback from all of you!!!

Christi in OH
10-13-2009, 07:29 AM
I'll be interested to hear what you all think too. I bet Luke's List would be great for goal setting. But, then again I could end up with just one more thing sitting on the shelf making me feel bad for not using it. :roflol:

Robin in Colorado
10-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Leslie,

This is not a book you 'use', but one you read and re-read and slowly digest. The ideas and suggestions can be implemented into what you are doing, and for ALL of your children.

We have some attention issues around here, lots of sensory issues, and some chronic health issues, just so y'all know.

Now... The book has great ideas. Some you've thought of, some you haven't, and some you would have given enough time (assuming, of course, a brain that is not overwhelmed, like our brains currently are ;) ) .

Joyce bullets things. I appreciate her use of white space so I'm not overloaded with information.

She addresses teaching our children as if we're doing it at home, and based on the fact that God created each child uniquely and that He sees each one as a jewel.

Joyce's goals are to help us help our children learn in ways that utilize the child's strengths, strengthen the weaknesses, make it fun, and make it *stick*.

Her ideas in Learning without Labels and in Timeless Teaching Tips (where *did* I put my copy?) are very simple, cheap or free, and very effective.

She brings ideas for incorporating small muscles, large muscles, ears, eyes, skin, taste buds, and joy into learning. Ya can't beat that!

Now, I'm going to re-read the book and see what new things I can add to help Kitty with some of her challenges....

Robin in Colorado
10-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Adding, too, that if anyone has a struggling or reluctant reader, I highly recommend Joyce's reading systems. She brings these same things in focus on reading in a way that bears fruit.