PDA

View Full Version : Touchmath?

Christi in OH
10-12-2009, 12:56 PM
I keep having recommendations for this math program for Ronnie. I checked out the website and :eek: way more than I plan to spend for a math program for a preK - K. Heck for any grade for that matter. :unsure:

Does anyone know of anything with a similar approach?

Thanks.

Hollie in SC
10-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Christi, I have no clue about Touchmath. ;) Never heard of it.

Have you looked at Numicon (http://store.downsedusa.org/epages/DownsEdUSA.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/DownsEdUSA/Categories/materials/by-topic/number-and-math)? I think Jill is using it with her girls.

DSFOC has a lot on their site as well. You have to join, but it is free.
http://dsfoc.org/lp_online_math.htm

Christi in OH
10-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I have looked at Numicon, thanks for the reminder. I'll have to see what we would need and talk to DH. Ronnie is just getting some counting down and recognizes alot of her numbers. She points them out when reviewing her phone book. ;)

Hollie in SC
10-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Ronnie is just getting some counting down and recognizes alot of her numbers. She points them out when reviewing her phone book. ;)

:clap: Good for her!

If you happen to get a good description (in the differences) in the various programs, would you let me know. One starter set is 40 and the other two are around 170. What is IN the packages is obviously different, but no good desciptions as to what the items (files, instructions, etc) actually contain or how they are needed/used. :lol: :unsure:

Christi in OH
10-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I just happen to have an answer for you. :clap: I had emailed earlier this year and this was the reply. The reply was so helpful I saved it. Haven't ordered yet, quite pricey, but I have a feeling that kit would last us a looonnnggg time. :unsure:

First Steps with Numicon at Home and Closing the Gap with Numicon are parallel kits, they broadly cover the basic number ideas. However they are very different in terms of the guidance in the teaching guides, and the size of the steps in the activities, illustrations, format and so on - i.e. each is tailored to the needs of its specific audience.

First steps is quite a basic Kit and is in very big steps designed for parents to use at home with typically developing children.

Closing the Gap has very small steps as well as extension for older children and substantial teaching guidance written by expert special needs consultant Simeon Elliott. This kit is not age specific i.e. there are no photographs of young children in the illustrations for the teaching activities, http://www.numicon.com/new_products/closing_the_gap_with_numicon.html

You can see example of the teaching materials here: http://www.numicon.com/Assets/Downloadablefile/CTG_teach_materials_preview-15642.pdf

If you are looking to use the Numicon approach for your daughter's maths then I would recommend the Closing the Gap One to One Kit, as this has a lot more activities and will give you a full approach to teaching. The kit covers p-levels to NC level 1.

When you have completed the activities in this kit you can then move on to the calculating in kits one and two. The conversion kits enable you to build on your Closing the Gap kit, providing the additional 'plastic' resources and teaching files without duplicating anything. (please see this link http://www.numicon.com/product-overview/numicon-at-home/conversion_kits.html)

Hollie in SC
10-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I just happen to have an answer for you. :clap: I had emailed earlier this year and this was the reply. The reply was so helpful I saved it. Haven't ordered yet, quite pricey, but I have a feeling that kit would last us a looonnnggg time. :unsure:

Thank you! Great info. Yes, pricey, but I also think it would be used for a very long time here. I'll take a look at Touchmath sometime soon.

ETA: :eek: 510 dollars for the pre-K set? Making Numicon look cheap, isn't it? :unsure:

Marie IN
10-12-2009, 02:02 PM
I am using Touchmath with Ds and it's been really great! It is pricey when you purchase the full sets. I don't think Ds really needs the full set. I wanted to get the basics of numbers, counting, and maybe basic addition with the TM system. We don't need the shapes, general math stuff.

However, I have done TM using workbooks/posters I bought much cheaper on ebay plus the freebies from the Touchmath site. Right now the site has free TM cubes to download and put together. The end up looking like big dice. They also have sample worksheets. For the workbooks, I took them apart and put them in page protectors. Ds uses them with a dry erase marker so we can reuse them. We are using the Kindergarten materials.

DawnD
10-13-2009, 12:30 PM
You can *do* touch math if you get Dianne Crafts addition and subtraction number cards. You are doing the same thing and they use the dots for adding and subtracting. It has worked wonders for us!!!

Later on get Dianne Crafts multiplication story cards - effortless!!! Especially for those visual kids.