View Full Version : Got the Dianne Craft phonics flashcards...

Alice R
10-14-2009, 07:53 AM
and they work! :eek:

I put this on the 3R's board because Alise does not have any "traditional" special needs, she is just a slow reader and we know there are many of those around. ;) Dianne Craft is discussed a lot on the Special Needs boards but many of you might not go over there or missed it.

I tried them out last night exactly like the directions said (which I thought was crazy but I did it anyway). You hold the cards up high which makes your child have an upward eye movement, like when they are thinking of something. They are now accessing that part of their brain, the picture part.

Big improvement.

Alise is 7, so she can tell me how and why they work. I asked her, because to me, it is a bit :crazy: but I'm open to anything new.

She said "when I get stuck on b and d, I can just picture the card in my head and I know the right letter. The "b" is sitting on the bookpile and the "d" is like the dog's tail going up"

I can see her actually taking in the picture in her mind. I could literally see it, the physical reaction of her eyes and the movements. It was wild. I could also see when she did not make a mental picture and asked her to do it again. It was wild. :cool:

I wanted to share... :group:

Edit: I should let you know that Alise is reading but it is not as easy and smooth as I'd like. I feel like it's hard for her and it shouldn't be so challenging so I'm trying to find some strategies that will help her and strengthen her skills. It's my gut feeling that her phonics foundation is just not the strongest.

Hollie in SC
10-14-2009, 08:16 AM
How exciting! :D :clap:

10-14-2009, 08:28 AM
That's great to hear!

I just recently found Diane Craft too and am currently borrowing her dvd. Excellent!! So many things are eye opening in why my son just isn't learning the same as my oldest. He's a right brainer! Totally different...so we are finding strategies to help him glue or velcro, as she says, concepts, phonics, multiplication facts etc... It is like night and day for him!

Regular teaching was just not "sticking" AT ALL!

Alice R
10-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Thank God for homeschooling so we can change gears as needed.

10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
I know! Aren't these great!! It sounds like your dd needs strong visual cues and that's why it works for her. Dianne Craft was at our state homeschool convention and I went to all her workshops. She was so caring and kind, and you could tell she really wants to help kids, not sell her stuff.

I've been using the cards with my ds and they have made a great difference. I also use her reading program and it has helped tremendously too. She has the student read lists of words first, then out of a reader. You can do the same thing without buying the book, just make up your own lists for whatever sounds you are working on and put that sound (ie. "th") in a different color.

Lindy, so glad her methods have worked for you too. I just have to remember to be more consistant in using them with my ds for other things besides just reading.

10-14-2009, 02:00 PM
She was so caring and kind, and you could tell she really wants to help kids, not sell her stuff.

This is how she came across to me too! She answered an email I sent within a day and was SO helpful. :clap:

Thank God for homeschooling so we can change gears as needed.

YES! :clap: