PDA

View Full Version : Teaching sight words?

Melanie
10-14-2009, 02:48 PM
My 5 year old ds is barely starting to read. We are using ETC (Book 1), Happy Phonics and I bought those little books by Nora Gaydos that are similar to Bob books. Ds is starting to read really simple books, but gets confused when he comes upon a word that he can't sound out (like THE or OF). Any suggestions for how to teach sight words?

Thanks!

Cheryl in SoCal
10-14-2009, 02:52 PM
They make flash cards for sight words, I think that's what I used with my older children (it's been a while:lol:). I would just start out with the simple ones he is encountering and add more as they appear in what he's reading.

AndreaD
10-14-2009, 03:03 PM
My ds liked this game online- http://www.sightwordswithsamson.com/sw/sight_words.asp

also we've done sight word bingo to help.

Laura F
10-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Flash cards can be helpful, but we really liked making a sight word worm. This idea is actually part of the Reading Made Easy program. You'll need posterboard and construction paper. Cut out a circle for the worm's head and then cut out a large # of circles for the body. Use whatever color(s) you want. To start the worm, glue the head onto the posterboard (toward the edge of one side) and then add a body segment/circle for each new sight word. Write the sight word on the circle. (We drew little legs under each circle, too). By the end of the year, you'll have a very long worm; in fact, we used 3 pieces of posterboard for our worm. Make sure that you post the worm in a very visible place!

Lisalyn
10-14-2009, 06:23 PM
My 8 yr old has had a tough time learning to read. Last year, his PS teacher decided to try flash cards. She had him make his own. He would write the word and then draw a picture that he associated with the word. There were many words that I could not make the word/picture connection, but he did. It worked!

Lori D
10-21-2009, 01:52 AM
http://www.theschoolbell.com/Links/Dolch/Contents.html is a great help! --

and when my 6yo comes across one of "those" words, we make a flash card. He has a stack that we keep with his readers. I usually quiz him before and after he reads. It helps keeps them fresh in his mind.

Julie in FL
10-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Laura in Texas.....Very Cute idea on the sight word worm, thanks for sharing....We are working on our sight words with flash cards that I picked up from Wal-Mart, but it's kind of boring for us!! :lol: