PDA

View Full Version : Grading

Rachel Jane
10-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I have:
quiz scores - 20
test scores - 3
final exam score -1 (duh! ;) )
lab results - 30, we did a lot of dissecting and record keeping.

How much weight should each section have?

Alice R
10-16-2009, 10:57 AM
You mean you have had 20 quizzes or your child got a 20?

(maybe I shouldn't be the one answering this question?) :roflol:

Rachel Jane
10-16-2009, 10:59 AM
:roflol:
20 quiz scores!!!!!

Paige P
10-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, how much effort do YOU think is reflected in each area? Do you think they're all equal (thus 25% each) or should one be weighted more highly?

Personally, I'd think lab work and test work *could* have the same weight and then the other 2?

Maybe lab and tests 30% each, quiz 25%, and final 15%.
Maybe lab and tests 35% each, quiz 20% and final 10%.

Maybe you'd want lab results to be higher since you spent SO much time doing that -- maybe lab 50%, test 30%, quiz 10%, final 10%.

Heather W
10-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I don't think you have to weight them at all. You sort of already have unless the test point value is not as high as other assignments.

What I tend to do is make tests worth more points. If you have three of them then they are worth more intrinsically when you do the average of all your scores.

Makes sense?

Laura F
10-16-2009, 05:11 PM
I don't think you have to weight them at all. You sort of already have unless the test point value is not as high as other assignments.

What I tend to do is make tests worth more points. If you have three of them then they are worth more intrinsically when you do the average of all your scores.

Makes sense?

I agree. Instead of assigning each type of assessment a percentage, just add the total points earned of every assignment and then divide by total points possible. For example, if a quiz is worth 10 points but a test is worth 50 points, the test is automatically worth 5 times more than the quiz.

Rachel Jane
10-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks for your input. I think I will do just as H and L suggested since it is the easiest! HA!

It makes the labs worth more than the tests, but that is okay with me. :)

DD in IL
10-17-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't weigh mine; I keep separate grades (average them) and then average the final averages.
If I were to weigh them, I would probably only make the final 10 percent, quiz, test, and labs 30 percent each.