View Full Version : My dd and reading

Cindy K
10-17-2009, 12:37 PM
My dd (8) can only read some 3 letter words, it is going so slow. Some days she will read the words, but then the next week, it is like she is starting over. We have used Explode the Code along with victory drill book/worksheets. I really don't think it is a matter of what program one uses-as long as it is a good program, and there is progression. So, I don't think she has progressed much since the start. It is hard to tell, because some words she knows by sight, others she does sound out. Should I be concerned? Thanks for reading!

10-17-2009, 01:13 PM
At 8 I would want to see her making progress instead of starting over from scratch every week. The book, Reading Rescue, gave me some very helpful strategies to use with my struggling reader. It turned out that he didn't know all the letter sounds, which really made moving beyond CVC words difficult.

Holly S
10-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Do you have her read everyday? That made a huge difference when DD was struggling with reading. We'd occasionally miss a day here and there, but I tried to have her read something everyday (weekends included)...even if it was only a couple of sentences.

We use ETC and McGuffey Readers...you can find them for free at www.oldfashionededucation.com

Cindy K
10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Thank you, ladies. I think it may partly be a matter of not being consistent. I may try to Reading Rescue book. Holly, do you use the Mcguffey workbooks also? We did but finally gave up.

Kendra AU
10-19-2009, 03:39 PM
We had a struggling reader too and we switched to Sing, Spell, Read, & Write. Now we're trying to keep him from reading the "naughty" words that seem to be EVERYWHERE.

I will also agree with reading EVERY day. Make it fun by giving them book that are "easy" (even if TOO easy) for them on weekends. Give them a book timer to keep track of how long they've read for. You'll also find them more eager to read the words if it's a book they are interested in. ;)

10-19-2009, 07:39 PM
I recommend Reading Rescue 1-2-3 as well, it made a big difference for my DS. I don't follow all the suggestions of the book, but have used the information in it to come up with my own fluency building techniques. DS is actually WAY better at reading sight words than using phonics.

Some things I do to help him is to phonetically sound out the words myself so he can see how it's done. He frequently makes "lack of attention" mistakes (i.e. he'll glance at "pretty," see the beginning and ending sounds and read "party"). When he does this, I sound out the beginning of the word to correct him which forces him to look at the letters in the middle.

I've also started using lots of simple worksheets in our school work. Reading stories or even long paragraphs really wears him out but I know he needs the practice. So I often have him read the questions on his sister's K-1 level worksheets to her. This makes for reading practice without the fatigue. I also have him do more of his own work using worksheets just because of the reading element. For phonics review, I'm having him help his little sister as she starts out with her first set of CVC books.

After doing the above for about 9 months, we have moved to longer reading segments finally. I have some reading comprehension practice books with segments that are 2-6 paragraphs followed by questions and we are using those for practice reading now. For the really long (1 page or longer) segments, I have started reading them first so he's familiar with the content and then having him read the segment again and answer the questions. This has worked really well and also boosts his confidence.

The comprehension materials I choose are mostly non-fiction selections (science and social studies). I think that was part of DS' problem with picture books. He's a very literal, fact-based kind of guy and reading "stories" was just difficult for him. He seems to take to the non-fiction and worksheet materials much better. (Go figure!)

Julie in AZ
10-19-2009, 08:17 PM
You may want to schedule an appointment with a developmental optometrist if she hasn't seen one before. They check for tracking, etc. My ds had problems. He needed glasses and we did vision therapy at home which made a HUGE difference.

I thought teaching someone to read was always a struggle even though I have an elementary teaching certificate. All my experience involved children who were struggling to learn to read. Once my ds' vision was corrected, it was like teaching a different child. It was easy!

I know the frustration. I hope you find something to help you. :group:

10-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Both my boys were still struggling at age 8, and both at around 9 made HUGE leaps from simple beginner books to big chapter books.

For ds2, what did the trick was "At Last- A Reading Method for Every Child" (http://www.onlinereadingteacher.com/index.html) by Mary Pecci. It teaches basic phonics, then teaches the more complicated phonograms as "sight families". When we started this, it took less than 2 weeks for ds to go from "I HATE reading" to "I want to do reading first". The program requires one of several different recommended reader sets- we used Pathway Readers. There is a lot of prep work to do before starting the program, but once that is done, the daily lessons take minimal prep.

Keep in mind that it has been said that no matter what reading programs are used, the THIRD one will always be the one that works. That's because some kids are just maturing slowly, and by the time you try yet another program, the child is finally ready.