PDA

View Full Version : Story of the World or Mystery of History

Jennifer in VA
10-18-2009, 05:02 PM
For those of you using Story of the World, how long does it take to get through one volume? About a school year (meaning 30 - 40 weeks or so)? What about the Mystery of History volumes?

Considering buying one of these and wonder if I should "rush out" to buy all four volumes or would volume 1 be fine for a while?

Hollie in SC
10-18-2009, 05:22 PM
We only have audios for SOTW, but I would estimate a year.

Mystery of History (which we only use as a read aloud) is set up for 3 lessons a week in Vol. 1. Vol 2-3 have fewer lessons BUT some are MUCH longer. We read them 3 days/week and it takes about a year. Sometimes we split a longer lesson into 2 days.

Heather W
10-18-2009, 05:24 PM
I use them with our unit studies, not as separate read alouds. So, there is no time limit on them for me! And I don't do them chronologically. So there. ;)

Alice R
10-18-2009, 06:36 PM
I do MoH ONLY as a read-a-loud. It took us over a year to get through Vol I and I think I skipped parts.

Tracey
10-18-2009, 06:37 PM
I have Story of the World volumes 1 and 3 but I only use them as a resource to go with what we are studying in our FIAR or Beyond units.

Negin
10-19-2009, 04:30 AM
Jennifer, we have only used SOTW. Love it. The last 2 volumes are a bit more challenging, or maybe it's just us :unsure:. Since we were given a copy of A Child's History of the World (http://www.amazon.com/Childs-History-World-Virgil-Hillyer/dp/B000Q7SFX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255940854&sr=8-1) - a lovely book, but I still prefer SOTW, we're going through that, before returning to SOTW.
Yes, one volume of SOTW takes about a year to complete.
I would only buy Volume 1 if I were you, unless, of course, if you have a particularly good deal for buying all 4 volumes.
We only read them and do not use the activity books. We often refer to this book (http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Internet-Linked-Encyclopedia-World-History/dp/0794503322/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255940977&sr=1-2) for illustrations and more. Love this book.

Kendra AU
10-19-2009, 06:31 AM
SOTW is written as a story through history. You can read it as a story or listen to it on cd.

MOH is written as quick lessons from a Biblical point of view with activities to do at the end. The idea is to do 3 lessons per week if you follow it as laid out.

DeniseR
10-19-2009, 07:59 AM
We did SOTW I a couple of years ago with a co-op but we had so many other things going on that we didn't get much out of it (dd just liked doing the craft activities at co-op). We are going through it again this year on our own. We do about 3 weeks of FIAR and then one week of SOTW so we can focus. We do a chapter a day along with the activity book. The activity book has questions, narration suggestions, maps, coloring pages, suggested additional reading, craft ideas and often recipes. Plenty of things to keep you busy. It will take us a year to get through.

mariah m
10-19-2009, 04:29 PM
I've been using MOH this year (only two months so far) but I am THRILLED with it :) So easy to use!

laurie in ok
10-20-2009, 04:31 PM
I LOVE Mystery of History. You could definitely buy these one at a time.

KimMC
10-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Well...If I remembered to do it every week I'd say a year per book. :lol: We are maybe half way through vol 1 and have had it for 2 years....:eek: The kids and I love it, but we get so focused on our FIAR or unit of the week we don't have time for both. So I'm changing that this year.
I'm using FIAR with GTG for a geography focus. I'm going to use the stories from SOTW to go with what ever country we are doing. I'm not going to bother trying to stay in order any more lol. :)

Christi in VA
10-21-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm a fan of MOH. I'd say about 1 yr each. Last yr, I bought volume 1 and found myself skipping it b/c we were reading chronologically with the Vos Story Bible, so it seemed redundant. This yr, volume 2...definitely a whole year, if you're very lenient and flexible, probably b/t 1 yr - 1.5 yrs. I am looking forward to volume 3! They are soo easy to use.