PDA

View Full Version : Science question

Bonnie W
10-19-2009, 08:06 AM
I know that there are science lessons in FIAR. For my style, I would prefer to have a topic for science that we are studying for a month or so at a time, so experiments, books, etc. on that subject, and then move to a new topic. I really enjoy the Charlotte Mason method. I just really need a plan of action, that works better for me. My daughter is asking for more science.
I was wondering if anyone set up their science in this way. What books to you use? My daughter is 1st grade. When she get in 3rd or 4th grade we will start with the Apologia books. I was hoping to wait a few years on those. Any suggestions? What about nature study?
Thanks,
Bonnie

DeniseR
10-19-2009, 08:20 AM
We are using http://www.noeoscience.com/. You read a few pages and the student does a short narration/draws a picture. There are experiments but not all the topics have them. We are doing Biology I and dd really likes it. She would like more experiments but, between what we do with FIAR and random stuff we do, there's enough.

CINDY LB OH
10-19-2009, 08:34 AM
October is weather month at our house. So we've been keeping charts and doing extra experiments around weather topics. I'm using a Janice VanCleave books for ideas and it's worked nice.

I don't think I'll do this every month, but it's worked well for this month.

Holly S
10-19-2009, 11:44 AM
We added Apologia Astronomy this year (my DD is in 2nd). She really enjoys it. We leave quite a bit of the notebooking out since she dreads writing and stick to the readings and experiments. I also purchased a Magic Tree House space experiment kit and they've enjoyed this as well.

I do add in some extra science experiments on occasion and don't worry about fitting them in with any of our lessons...it's just a fun family activity. :)

I added the extra science in because I'm really bad about getting to FIAR science lessons at the end of the week. :blush:

Scarlett
11-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Bonnie,

I highly recommend the Apologia science curriculum. :thumb:

Here (http://apologia.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1) is the page for elementary.

YoLanda
11-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Try 'One Small Square' series. They have 12 in all and some titles are:

Cave
Night Sky
Backyard
Pond
Seashore
Desert

Can't remember all the rest but they are great! (you can do a search here for the post on it. I think Suz Mama Frog? --sorry if I got the name wrong!--- said she did a few and liked them.)

I like them a lot for my 7 y/o. Here's the skinny on them:

Around 42 pages

Each 'chapter is about 2-4 pages long so you could break up your time that way

You take one small square, 18 inches by 18 of the place they are describing and observe it!

They go into detail about plants/insects/mammals/flowers/fungus/protists/monerans.

The illustrations are very nice, IMO anyway!

Sidenotes for staying safe and what materials are needed for the observation.

I just love these books! They aren't that expensive, $9 or so and even less on Amazon, but shipping brings it up. You could find some at your library or ILL them. Or better yet, try to request they purchase them! I did!

You can go to Acornnaturalist.com to see them in their full glory and order if you like. Plus, A N is a neat place to go crazy for science stuff. Order their catalog and you'll pour over it for hours! A resource you'll want to keep for a long time, or order one each year. I've found that just by looking at the catalog I get ideas of books I can check out at my library instead of buy (I'm not into buying when I can loan!) and equipment we can look for at garage sales (their stuff is a bit pricey for us right now). Basically, just looking at the catalog it fires up my brain!!!

When we did seashore we just made a diorama. Each day we added the things we read about. You can stretch it as far as your child is willing to go. We go about one week because we have a rotation with history, science and FIAR. One week for each unless she is really engrossed, no need to stop.

Another thing to try is see what is offered at your library. Ours had an 'All Read' program where everyone gets to read, not just the young'uns. It was on space so we went to see all the movies, activities and did our own stuff on space at home. So now the book to go on the heels of this recent space study is 'Night Sky'. In the summer we did Pond since we have one near by.

Suz MamaFrog
11-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Jane's nature studies are great for "unit studies" based on science and nature! Each one is seasonally specific, and includes ideas for several topics of study. You'd have several months (3 or 4 at least) of ideas to choose from and plan for. She even includes book suggestions, poetry and other cross-curriculum sources. Check them out!

Blessings!
Suz

DeniseR
11-02-2009, 05:18 AM
Try 'One Small Square' series. They have 12 in all and some titles are:

Cave
Night Sky
Backyard
Pond
Seashore
Desert

Can't remember all the rest but they are great! (you can do a search here for the post on it. I think Suz Mama Frog? --sorry if I got the name wrong!--- said she did a few and liked them.)

I like them a lot for my 7 y/o. Here's the skinny on them:

Around 42 pages

Each 'chapter is about 2-4 pages long so you could break up your time that way

Noeoscience uses Desert, Woods and Seashore in their biology program and they are great books.

Kendra AU
11-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Bonnie,

Have you considered linking a few books together that share the same science topic?? We do that sometimes as well as expanding further on said topic on our own.

For instance there's several books with gardening or growing (fruit/veg) themes. Ocean life themes, etc. This summer we'll be focusing on ocean life since we spend a LOT of time at the beach.. Just a thought anyway.. ;)