PDA

View Full Version : high school Bible -- what does your course look like?

Rebe
10-25-2009, 06:47 PM
For various reasons, I'm not really wanting to buy a big, complex Bible/religion curriculum for high school. I'd like something that uses the Bible (obviously) and not much else, other than maybe questions to answer and some writing about what's been read.

I've been wondering if maybe we (dh and I) can come up with something ourselves, maybe using the Quest Bible (which was hugely helpful and fascinating to both dh and I when we became Christians). I've also heard of the NIV Student Bible (Philip Yancey?) but I haven't looked into it yet, so I don't know if it's something you could use as a curriculum or if it's just a Bible with a few questions thrown in.

So has anyone done this themselves? What have you done?

As for what to cover, right now I'm thinking 3 years' study on the Bible itself, and then the senior year 1/2 comparative religion and 1/2 apologetics. I'm also thinking 1/4 credit for each year's work, but that may have to increase to a half-credit, depending on the time involved.

So, please let me know what you're doing for Bible in high school and if I'm on track for something that makes sense and is doable.

Hope
10-25-2009, 10:07 PM
I had my high-schooler go through Bob Jones' Bible Modular series.

http://www.bjupress.com/category/Grade+9+Bible+Modular+Series?path=1618

Alicia
10-25-2009, 10:19 PM
My youngest ds is not in HS yet, but my dh teaches in a Christian high school. He teaches a semester of apologetics to 9th graders, and for his 11th graders, he teaches a semester on all the major world religions{characteristics of each and comparisons to Christianity} and how to recognize cults, and a semester on The Life and Travels of Paul. As seniors, they all have a course on Christian marriage and family. I know you are specifically asking about courses for homeschoolers, but I thought I would give you those ideas for some suggestions of topics.

WendyW
10-26-2009, 08:39 AM
We are not doing a particular curriculum, but are using resources we already have, or that our church library has. I have a lot of stuff on hand from when my dd was still at home.

currently we are watching Kent Hovinds' Creation Videos.
Also planned are:
A study of world religions
"I Kissed Dating Goodbye" by Joshua Harris
" Gave Dating a Chance: A Biblical Perspective to Balance the Extremes" by Jeramy Clark
"Don't Check Your Brains at the Door" by Josh McDowell and Bob Hostetler
"The Screwtape Letters" by CS Lewis
"Geekproof Your Faith" by Greg Johnson & Dr. Michael Ross
A spiritual gifts inventory

Nedra
10-27-2009, 09:28 AM
We have never used a Bible program. We simply read the Bible. Around 8th-9th grade my kids desire to do their on devotions and I am fine with that. Last year my 9th grader read Matthew-Acts. He started this year in Romans. We have always talked/debated scripture in our daily conversations, so I guess that is our "curriculum."

Ronette in CA
10-28-2009, 09:34 PM
I've used this (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=367902) with Jordan and we really enjoyed it!:)

Rebe
10-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks, everyone. I see that I'm not too far off track with the plan -- I never thought about marriage/family, though, and that's a good idea.

Nedra, I wish my ds was that self-motivated. Sadly, he's just not. Unless he gains some major maturity before 9th grade, I'm going to be assigning the work 100% because he's not going to just come to me and say, "Hey, Mom, I want to read through the Bible this year!" :unsure:

Ronette, when you say you used that book, can you tell me how you used it? How did you turn it into a curriculum for a Bible course (what did you require)? And how do you determine credits -- by the number of hours spent on the course? I don't know how long things will take him, so I don't know how much credit to assign ... or do you do that after the fact, sometimes?