View Full Version : My 11yo ds struggles when writing summaries...

10-27-2009, 10:41 AM
he always puts TOO MUCH information....winds up turning into a report and way too long. How can I help him keep it short and simple? Any tips?

10-27-2009, 11:31 AM
I would practice orally. Have him read a selection, then summarize out loud. Give him clear guidelines on how long the summary should be. Maybe do a short story, and have him stop and summarize each page or paragraph as you go through it.

10-27-2009, 12:05 PM
My 11yo has the opposite problem...one word summaries are his specialty. :lol:

I require 5 fast facts. I got the idea from here but I don't remember from who, sorry I hope they pipe up here. Anyways, he has to give me 5 facts or 5 points from the story if it's fiction.

Also try giving him a more concise topic to summarize. If he's reading about Romans for example ask for a summary on Roman religion or Roman emperors or Roman gladiators instead of just telling him to summarize. Giving him a narrower focus might help him reduce his wordiness. ;)<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

10-27-2009, 01:04 PM
When they include too much info, I ask them to write it as if they were writing to a little child.

Jo in PRC
10-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Using a graphic organizer might help because there are only small shapes in which to write.