PDA

View Full Version : I need help

JavaJackie
10-28-2009, 10:36 AM
My second grader cannot read.:sad: She just isnt getting it. I taught second grade before kids, I have taught my oldest two to read, but its just not happening and I am ready to cry.:sad:

She is a quirky kid. I dont think she has ADD, but tendencys. She is a dreamer, has a huge imagination. She has over 30 lines in our church's Christmas program and already has them all memorize and has never, not one time read the script. BUT she listened to the cd that goes with it. VERY auditory. She can quote whole sponge bob episodes!;)

So I need help. I have always used ABEKA and I love it, but it is not working for her. Do you guys have any suggestions for another reading/phonics program that works well with auditory learners. Thanks!!

Rachel Jane
10-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Can you get your hands on Sing, Spell, Read and Write?
I used it with both of my guys and they still remember the songs. My youngest is an auditory learner. He learned how to read by listening and watching his older brother's lessons before he knew the names of the letters.

Lou
10-28-2009, 11:08 AM
For phonics, I have used Animated Alphabet. Each letter and blend has a character, story, and song with motions. The songs are short, but are to familiar tunes. My dd still remembers Uncle Upton the umpire who hangs upside down. :lol:

Cheryl in SoCal
10-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Alphabet Island is my favorite. Each letter is a person (or animal) and it has songs to remember all the rules/different sounds/etc. I'd go to www.cathyduffyreview.com and look at all the programs she's reviewed.

Gingeretta
10-28-2009, 12:56 PM
The programs suggested all sound like they'd be great for her learning style. I just want to encourage you with this--my 12yod was just like your daughter. Reading just didn't click with her. When she was nearly 8yo she came to me crying because her older siblings were playing a game and they told her she couldn't play because they didn't feel like reading everything to her. That made her SO determined!

So, we started over with Phonics Pathways and took it very slowly. I don't know why, but one day it just clicked with her. I did a few more lessons but her reading just took off. Now she has a voracious reading appetite and can't get enough! She is in 7th grade now and her reading teacher told me she is a top student who reads and comprehends far above her grade level.

It will happen!! Just hang in there.

Heather W
10-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Reading Made Easy

debbie in ak
10-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Reading Rescue 1-2-3 (http://www.succeedtoread.com/readingrescue.html) helped my youngest tremendously!!

Paige P
10-28-2009, 02:48 PM
I'll 2nd Sing Spell Read and Write.

I will temper it, though, with the fact that YOU should be the "master" and it the "slave" ;) There's a lot of writing involved, and I quickly learned that MY goal was to have them read, not spell (I figured that would come later, and it has). I think this program is FANTASTIC for the auditory/visual learner :thumb:

Kendra AU
10-28-2009, 03:51 PM
I'll 2nd Sing Spell Read and Write.

I will temper it, though, with the fact that YOU should be the "master" and it the "slave" ;) There's a lot of writing involved, and I quickly learned that MY goal was to have them read, not spell (I figured that would come later, and it has). I think this program is FANTASTIC for the auditory/visual learner :thumb:

I'm 3rding it. :D Our struggling reader used this program after trying MANY others and he took off. He still struggles with the concept of "not being perfect", but we're working on it. As in he reads a book and stumbles on ONE lone little word and thinks he did TERRIBLE. :eyes:

Anyway, after trying many programs this one worked. It has cds where they learn phonics rules by singing. Games to play to enforce what they learn via cds. Teaches grammar too if you follow it as laid out. We don't.

He can write so I'm much more worried about getting him confident with the reading. He knows what a sentence is thanks to FIAR. All though I heard him reading a book to his brother the other day and he read out, "What about you?" and after he read you he said "questionmark" :lol:

Cindy in CA
10-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Can you get your hands on Sing, Spell, Read and Write?

My thoughts exactly. My 2nd son is very auditory and it worked great for him..

:)

Cindy

TonyaP
10-28-2009, 09:29 PM
The change between 2nd and 3rd grade for DS has been huge, even he is surprised. I used some of the tips in Reading Rescue 1-2-3 and also switched from trying to read primers or picture books to using worksheets with shorter sentences and short "reading comprehension" selections. He prefers non-fiction.

I think his primary problem was eye tracking (which the ADD could contribute to). I spent last year keeping my finger under each word and sounding it out myself to model looking at each section of the word. Sometimes DS tries to get by with just looking at the whole word and guessing.

Here's where we started last year:
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/HWTK/605336/

Since then my techniques have evolved to continue to address DS' strengths and weaknesses. We are taking a break from Sequential Spelling and no longer doing the computer based phonics. DS knows the phonics rules, he just has difficultly applying them. His attention span doesn't allow for lengthy reading so lots of little sentences found in worksheets, etc. throughout classtime have been great for him. He gets the practice in but doesn't realize that is what is going on.

Shelly L
10-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Reading Rescue 1-2-3 (http://www.succeedtoread.com/readingrescue.html) helped my youngest tremendously!!

I with I had tried Sing, Spell, Read, Write, but we are far enough beyond that now that I've found other things that are also helping. Reading Rescue is my latest blessing, and the steps we are trying in there are helping. But if you are wanting to 'start over' so to speak, then a regular phonics program such as SSRW, Reading Made Easy, or Phonics Pathways might be the way to go. I would say just make sure that there is plenty of auditory teaching going on within those programs, (there definitely is with SSRW) plus visual tracking (which Phonics Pathways is good for, as it builds the sentences, pyramid style, one word at the top down to a complete sentence at the bottom.)

My daughter had vision tracking issues and we had six weeks of vision therapy, which helped. She still has a tendency, however, to 'jump' visually to the middle of a word, or to the 'tallest' letter and try to use it to start the word. I'm not sure how to help her with that.

We are also using All About Spelling which have been a great review and teaches to all learning styles.

God bless you as you find the answer! I know from experience it can be a tough road, but there IS a light at the end of the tunnel! It's okay if your child learns to read 'later' rather than 'earlier.' It all evens out in the end.

Shelly L.

Susan A
10-29-2009, 08:49 AM
I can't help but think of the Moore's advice to simply wait. My 2nd grader has had a tough time reading and some days still struggles to read the word "bat". I have decided to go easy and let her develop in her time and stop looking for the "magic" phonics program.:)

DeniseR
10-29-2009, 09:54 AM
What do you mean by not being able to read? Does she struggle with basic phonics, cvc words and simple sight words or is it blends, longer words, etc?

We have never used a formal program. DD just turned 8 and it has only been within the last couple of months that we have seen any real progress. I would put her at low-end 2nd grade level but she is making progress daily now.

WendyW
10-29-2009, 10:44 AM
I can't help but think of the Moore's advice to simply wait. My 2nd grader has had a tough time reading and some days still struggles to read the word "bat". I have decided to go easy and let her develop in her time and stop looking for the "magic" phonics program.:)

I second this advice. Both my boys suddenly "got" it shortly after they turned 8, one in early 2nd grade, one late second grade. Once it clicked, they each went from easy readers to chapter books within weeks. Both are now several years above grade level in reading.

Cheryl in SoCal
10-29-2009, 11:20 AM
What do you mean by not being able to read? Does she struggle with basic phonics, cvc words and simple sight words or is it blends, longer words, etc?

We have never used a formal program. DD just turned 8 and it has only been within the last couple of months that we have seen any real progress. I would put her at low-end 2nd grade level but she is making progress daily now.

If the problem is that she is just not ready I would definitely wait. If the problem is that the curriculum isn't a good match with her learning style then I would switch to one that is. How's that for being noncommittal;):lol: One of my friend's sons was very late to read (I think around 12) because he just wasn't ready and she waited until he was. He's now in his second year at a prestigious military academy (I believe West Point) so it obviously didn't hurt him to wait.